DIY canister filter questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ralizem

AC Members
Apr 4, 2017
I am planning a in line heater canister filter that I saw Joey the king of diy on YT. I am unable to post links. (New user) In the video he uses white/black pcv. I was wondering if clear pvc would be ok. Would light help or be detrimental for bacteria growth in the biological media?

30 gal freahwater tank

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
I am planning a in line heater canister filter that I saw Joey the king of diy on YT. I am unable to post links. (New user) In the video he uses white/black pcv. I was wondering if clear pvc would be ok. Would light help or be detrimental for bacteria growth in the biological media?

30 gal freahwater tank
It would be fine, as long as you don't keep it in a high light area.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Black will be better. Short term exposure to light isn't great, but the microbes can recover. In a high light or constantly lit environment, growth will be inhibited.

Reactions: Ralizem

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
Black will be better. Short term exposure to light isn't great, but the microbes can recover. In a high light or constantly lit environment, growth will be inhibited.
Only a small portion would likely be in a light penetrable area though, right? Either way, if there is too much light, you will get algae growth and not be able to see through it anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd probably just go with whatever is cheapest.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What would be the point of building a filter and deliberately creating a section that won't function? I get it, yes, it's just the outer portion--but lacking the ability to really determine who far light is penetrating at levels high enough to limit growth, it's a factor that could be eliminated. Say you have a 15 inches section of pipe, 8 inches in diameter. If light penetrates one inch, you reduce the viable media by 1/4. That's pretty significant.

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
What would be the point of building a filter and deliberately creating a section that won't function? I get it, yes, it's just the outer portion--but lacking the ability to really determine who far light is penetrating at levels high enough to limit growth, it's a factor that could be eliminated. Say you have a 15 inches section of pipe, 8 inches in diameter. If light penetrates one inch, you reduce the viable media by 1/4. That's pretty significant.
I agree with the premise, I just don't think that it would be as big a factor as you seem to, but it could be media dependent. I don't know what anyone would want to see inside for anyway. I'd probably just make it out of the cheaper plain PVC, and spray paint for aesthetics.

Ralizem

AC Members
Apr 4, 2017
For this project does anyone have a suggestion on a pump to power this diy filter? Is is small enough to use a powerhead or do I need something more powerful? Any suggestions on a brand (s)?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It's really going to depend on stuff like head pressure and such...

I am assuming that this is being driven mostly by budget... in which case, why not just see what is available.. if it's not an issue, then perhaps something DC, so that the speed can be controlled without having to add a valve or something to slow speed down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store