Moved Otos from 10g to 29g. One died within the hour. What to do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hadesnuggz

AC Members
Jun 18, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Both tanks were the same water quality and temp. I tested both waters yesterday. Nitrite 0. Ammonia was between 0-0.25 ppm. Nitrate was between 0-20ppm. I moved them because they seemed to not have enough room. As soon as I moved them they started eating all of the algea, all 3 in a row. Now one died within an hour. I don't think I should move them back as I think it would stress them out more. Tank has lots of hiding spots with fake and real plants. I don't know what I should do.

hadesnuggz

AC Members
Jun 18, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Water chemistry was the same in both tanks. Used drip tests. 29 gallon had recent diatom bloom because I've been leaving the lights on, anticipating their move. I wanted them to have enough algea to eat. The 1 of the three died within an hour. Then another flipped upside down and was about to die so I moved them both back to the 10. And the one stopped dying and started acting normal. I moved them very carefully with a soft net.

This is the ,3rd time in 2 months I've tried to put something in this tank and have it die right away. Tank was established and had fish in it before I moved across town. The 10g is a new tank that's cycling. The 29 got reset with same filter, rocks, half of original water.

The 29 gallon only has two ghost shrimp which are doing fine.

I'm not sure what's wrong with this tank. :(

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Check that all of the equipment is functioning properly, nothing is shorting out. how did you move the tank? What form of dechlorination was used? Trying to think what would be THAT fast, and go away once removed but not bother the shrimp...Electric current, maybe, but you're notice that if you touched the tank...Hmmm.

hadesnuggz

AC Members
Jun 18, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Everything seems to be working fine. Temp is the same. Aquasafe Plus was used to dechlorinate. I moved the tank by putting everything in buckets and then set back up normally. I've been using aquavitro seed as well.

hadesnuggz

AC Members
Jun 18, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Same thing happened when I tried to put neons in it two months ago. I waited a month then tried again with a GBR. I'm beginning to think I should give up on this tank.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What are the white rocks in the 29, lower left of the picture? Where did the shell come from?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Not sure what's wrong with your 29gal. If it was the water, then the ghost shrimps would have died a long time ago. How are the other 2 Otos?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store