Blood Red Parrot Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jbghh

Registered Member
Apr 16, 2017
I have a 110 gal tank with a 1 Frontosa and 2 Blood Red Parrots. One parrot is confirmed female as she has laid eggs and the other I believe to be male. Not sure if this matters, but the ?male? is the "typical" BRP (starting out as black/white with a deformed mouth, hump behind the head) and the female was purchased a short time later and started out at a small size being orange and more of a convict body shape (no deformity of the mouth, no "hump" behind the head).
Since the last egg laying episode 1 1/2 weeks ago, the ?male? is considerably more antagonistic than usual towards the Frontosa and the female is still defending her nesting area even though the eggs are all gone.
This is new to me since all 3 have lived in harmony since they were juveniles more than 5 years ago. Would moving the female out relieve any of the male posturing if that is indeed what is going on? Or is their time of harmony just coming to a close due to maturity/size of everyone involved?
Any input would be appreciated.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
It seems like the male is just trying to defend it's mate and eggs. Normal with Cichlids. I would not upset the balance, unless the male gets violent.

Jbghh

Registered Member
Apr 16, 2017
It seems like the male is just trying to defend it's mate and eggs. Normal with Cichlids. I would not upset the balance, unless the male gets violent.
The female has now given up the nest site, but now what does it mean when the two parrots start locking lips? It looks fairly vicious!

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
Remove them from the frontosa tank, fronts are Africans, and need more of their kind, get 4 more fronts with one being a male and rest female.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
The female has now given up the nest site, but now what does it mean when the two parrots start locking lips? It looks fairly vicious!
This is aggressive behaviour, you're correct in that. You could try more hiding spaces, breaking up lines of site etc. But I do agree in not keeping South American and African cichlids together. The African, the frontosa, likes higher pH than the South Americans do for one reason, though there are many others. However, I think the two parrots are just going to continue to be aggressive with each other. It is a fairly large tank and adding some dither fish for distraction may help.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
agree with livebearerfreak livebearerfreak and Tifftastic Tifftastic 100%

Also from what I gather Frontosa is a nocturnal species so that's why they should only be kept with other Frontosas, not in Tanganyikan biotopes like other Tangs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store