Stocking a 20 long

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KristiB

AC Members
Apr 18, 2017
I recently started a new tank after many years without. I don't quite feel like a newbie every now and then I do.

I have live plants in a gravel substrate and intend to add a cave-like rock or two,

I now have 3 corys: 1 peppered,1 leopard, 1 arcuatus. They are fairly active, and the leopard and arcuatus hang out together a lot. I would like more but how many and which type?

I am thinking of adding two schools of tetras. How many of each school should I get?

What do you think? Would you add anything else? Or is what I'm planning too many?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If it were me...

Take back your 2 least favorite cories, then get 5-6 more of the one you really like. They will be happier, and healthier. You'll see better behavior as well.

I'd pick one type of schooling fish. A 20 honestly is not big enough to see good schooling behavior with 2, they'll end up a muddled mess. Go with something small, like chili rasboras, and get 10-15.

KristiB

AC Members
Apr 18, 2017
Thank you. I was having similar thoughts about the corys.

My last tank was 55 so I definitely needed to hear I was planning too much. Chili rasboras are a great idea. What do you think about neon tetras? Would they do as well?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The neons are much bigger fish than chili rasboras, you couldn't have as large of a school. Limit it to maybe 6-7 neons.

I'm a fan of bristlenose, but they're medium sized fish that produce the waste of a much larger fish. Clowns do ok, but can still be a big poop factory. Think about why you want it--if you're looking for a worker to help with algae, something like amano shrimp would be better (better algae eater, more efficient, neat to observe, could have 4-5, produce WAY less waste).

KristiB

AC Members
Apr 18, 2017
Thanks for the feedback. I really just love plecs and corys. I've decided my tank is just too small for a plec.

I'll get some shrimp, go with leopard corys, which were always my favorite, and I'd rather have more chili rasboras than fewer neon tetras.

That's it. Other fish will have to wait for me to get a bigger tank.

Thanks for helping me plan my tank!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Glad to help. Bigger tanks are a good thing. Bigger tanks with lots of little fish are a VERY good thing. :)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I think that stocking is great (cories, chilis and amanos) and is slightly understocked even, which I prefer with smaller tanks. I must comment on how well you received the advice given, KristiB. It's nice to see people not just asking a question to hear what they what to hear. lol Good luck with the tank and keep up posted. BTW we like pictures ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store