Good 2-4 gallon aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sheepish

AC Members
Dec 18, 2016
New England
Real Name
L. C. Bartlett
I'm looking for a nice small tank, likely just for a betta and a snail or two unless I want to do endlers or sparkling gourami. I love the cubed aquariums but all the ones I've been looking at on Amazon seem to have less-than-stellar reviews. Does anyone know of a nice little aesthetically-pleasing tank that won't set me back an arm and a leg? Thank you. :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Are you looking for tank only, or an all in one? What's a price range you're comfortable paying? New/used?

Sheepish

AC Members
Dec 18, 2016
New England
Real Name
L. C. Bartlett
Are you looking for tank only, or an all in one? What's a price range you're comfortable paying? New/used?
Perfectly fine with a used tank, and either-or on the all-in-one bit. I was looking at the Tetra 3-gallon cube on Amazon which was about $40, and would be fine with throwing down a bit more than that ($75 or so would be my maximum I think) if need be.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd go for a glass tank, personally, think the Tetra setup in plastic, and easily scratched.

I like the fluval shrimp tank kits, personally. Not sure what they run.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Of the 3, I'd go with the Fluval tank... I just prefer them.. and I'm a bigger fan of the V.

If you are looking at keeping plants, lighting should be a big part of your decision.

Aesthetically, I'm a big fan of the Dennerle cubes
http://dennerle.com/en/products/nano-aquaristic/cubes-and-sets/nanocuber-complete

or Cobalt Microvue
https://www.cobaltaquatics.com/coll...ts/microvue3-aquarium-kit?variant=33399798858

But ultimately, what will set one tank from another, is how it's used... not which particular glass box is being used (Unless someone would like to sponsor me to promote their product)

I hope this helps

Rex the axolotl

Registered Member
Apr 17, 2017
I would check out the Imagitarium PRO Delux Freshwater Aquarium. It's a 3.75 gallon for about $50 at petco with a built in filter and comes with a led light. I love the built in filter. I've had it for about 2 months and still no problems! I recommend it.

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Hello. This is my first post. I'm brand new to all of this. Has anyone purchased from true aqua com ? They have a tank on clearance that is a glass semi circle 7.4 gallon whole kit for $59.98 I love the idea of it for my kitchen counter, just for black mollies or if I could find the pretty killifish, either set of fish with a snail and some plants.
But as for this persons question, they have a "deal of the day" which is a glass 4 gallon square kit for 49.95 I thought would be nice for this question if it's a good thing. Both have a download able manual but I wouldn't know what I was looking at either way.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I have ordered from tru-aqua... The tanks I received were pretty good... So no real complaints from me :)

Not sure if I would order other equipment from them, but that is more to have with the overabundance in the basement than their products... And I have become a bit of a snob in my old age.

As for finding killifish, I don't see many in pet or fish stores outside of golden wonder... But I know lots of people keeping them in local clubs, and they should not be too difficult to have them mailed to you.

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Sorry if im getting off subject and should switch forums to one about "parts" but I was looking at that tank Rex, that imagitarium looks interesting. I do want glass. Just seems cleaner. But all the filters that come with those little carbon filters that slide into a slot. No bio material or sponges. They do have a pre-filter sponge usually attached to the intake tube...but what could you do with them? Could one modify them by pulling the carbon card out of the slot? I'm assuming you would put the little bag of ceramics opposite a sponge?

All Dougall, where would I find a breeder in my area? Or what online source do you all use for purchasing fish? I'm assuming the shipping would be expensive as it would need to be overnighted? It's getting hot already in Florida.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store