What do you think of a 7.4 gallon glass semi circle tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
So, seems these days odd shaped tanks are available. Is a tank like this simply nice to look at and the footprint easy to place or could this be good for fish? I do love the idea of planting something like this but how would enough light reach the bottom to grow things especially if you wanted floating plants like lettuce, water sprite or frog bit? Seems like nothing would grow on the floor?
  • VOLUME: 7.4 GALLONS
  • LIGHTING: 11 WATT x 1
  • PUMP: 105 GPH
  • VOLT/FREQ: 110V-120V/60Hz
  • DIMENSIONS: 14.9” x 9.4” x 15.4”
  • AVAILABLE IN BLACK OR GRAY

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would worry about how the light would hit the bottom.. and how uniform it would be... I am not used to stranger tank shapes, and I am a fan of cube or rectangular ones... They also don't distort the view of the fish.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Anubius can grow on the floor -attached to somewood or rock.

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Thanks. I dont want to buy it because I think it will " fit" somewhere. I want to be sure of what I can put in it since it won't have as much surface... or not as much. And 7.4 is a weird size. Lots of advice for 5 and 10 but where does 7.4 fit?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
All the number of gallons will do is dilute anything in the water... So you can have more f in a bigger tank, or less maintenance etc.

You need to think of how you will view the fish, and if they will appear distorted, if you want live plants, think about getting enough light and how well it will cover the tank... Will you have dark spots? And most furniture isade for square or rectangle furniture.

At the end of the day, it is what works best for you. Price, what maintenance you want to do, what fish you want . Etc.

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
I think your right. I may want to try plants that need more light and see the fish. And might want more than one who would like to come to the top. I will definitely want real plants. I will continue lurking here for awhile but try not to overthink it too much. I call it lurking because that's what we called people who never posted in the only other forum I've ever been on. Lol thankyou for tanking time to answer.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Having more light may make it more difficult to see fish... They may hide to stay in the shadows.

But keep posting all you want... Lurking is nowhere near as much fun.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
thankyou for tanking time to answer.
Was that on purpose? Either way I enjoyed it. :)

After 9 years of being in the hobby I still get the urge to do those decorative tanks when I see them but I always remind myself that I don't like owning/maintaining them lol. Footprint and surface area are one of the most important things IMO when choosing a tank. What type of fish or plants I want goes hand in hand with that. So figure out what kind of fish or plants you want, or better yet what does well in your particular water and go from there.

Don't be a stranger, post away! That's why the forum is here.

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
No lol. Funny but not on purpose. Thank you. I am enjoying the forum. I'm going continue my questions on the thread I started about killifish.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store