Is it common for a Red Hump Geophagus to move plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumtnfishy

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
Hey! So I read many places that the RH Geo rarely bothers plants. Even my fave fish guys at my store said my guy would be fine. So I switched my entire 65 gal tank over to live plants. Gosh I have Cryptos, Hairgrass, anubias, java moss, s. repens, Pruensis, Ludgwigia Broadleaf, and dwarf sagitaria. Well he is uprooting pretty much everything. I am so besides myself right now. Do I keep my beloved plants or my beloved Red Hump?? So I wanted to see if this is more common than led to believe. Also do keyholes leave plants alone?

predatorkeeper87

AC Members
May 30, 2015
Hey! So I read many places that the RH Geo rarely bothers plants. Even my fave fish guys at my store said my guy would be fine. So I switched my entire 65 gal tank over to live plants. Gosh I have Cryptos, Hairgrass, anubias, java moss, s. repens, Pruensis, Ludgwigia Broadleaf, and dwarf sagitaria. Well he is uprooting pretty much everything. I am so besides myself right now. Do I keep my beloved plants or my beloved Red Hump?? So I wanted to see if this is more common than led to believe. Also do keyholes leave plants alone?
they are substrate sifters, they are going to disturb your plants.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Agreed with the above. You'll be ok with the plants like anubias and java fern or moss that you attach to decor, but anything buried in the substrate is going to get moved to a new location daily.

Reactions: sumtnfishy

sumtnfishy

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
So I am doing the good ole tank shuffle. I found a girl down the road that wants to give me her 55 gallon but it's full of gouramis. Would my red hump geo be ok with those tank mates?

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
So I am doing the good ole tank shuffle. I found a girl down the road that wants to give me her 55 gallon but it's full of gouramis. Would my red hump geo be ok with those tank mates?
yea, he should be fine

With the exception of Geophagus brasiliensis, Earth-eaters make good community fish

Last edited:
Reactions: sumtnfishy

sumtnfishy

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
Agreed with the above. You'll be ok with the plants like anubias and java fern or moss that you attach to decor, but anything buried in the substrate is going to get moved to a new location daily.
Hello thanks for responding. So yah I stripped down the tank except for a few things he leaves alone. I thought the java moss would be fine. So I started a bonsai tree affect and what do you know? Little butt head pulls all the moss off. So I had moss and brown sewing thread everywhere!! Luckily no one got caught up in it.

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
yea, he should be fine

With the exception of Geophagus brasiliensis, Earth-eaters make good community fish
I had a geophagus brasiliensis he worked out fine with a fire mouth a convict and an African peacock cichlid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store