Dumb, long nitrate question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Teddy's Mom

AC Members
Dec 24, 2016
Marin county CA
Real Name
Diane
I didn't realize that about the brown stuff. I did buy 3 otocinclus, and I really like the little guys so I was thinking of adding more, since I read that in the wild they live in big schools. I don't have anyone big enough to eat them, fortunately. I'm not sure if I'm feeding them correctly but they seem to have been thriving, except, randomly, one day after being in the tank for a couple months, one of them died.

I feel like the fish were stressed simply because of the illnesses that were going around, and it seems like all the water changes must be scary for them, but maybe they don't care. :)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
big changes will scare them.. so if you don't do water changes and then start doing large ones... that can stress them..

if they are used to frequent water changes, and your tank water parameters are very close to what comes out of the tap, then you are normally fine.

pay attention to the temperatur of the tap water you fill with, and how fast you fill.. if there's no rush, slower can be better as it won't alter the temperature as much.

Reactions: fishorama

Teddy's Mom

AC Members
Dec 24, 2016
Marin county CA
Real Name
Diane
Thanks for the advice. I've been doing so many water changes the fish are very used to it by now, I think. I use one of those Python things for refilling the tank and it can be tricky to get the temp right; I've been just feeling with my hand and then running to the tap to adjust as needed. But great idea about slowing it down so any temp difference isn't a shock.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
They may feel a bit "frisky" with lots of WCs! Finger temp should be close enough most times, that's often how I tell. A few degrees either way shouldn't be an issue.

Ya know, some people can breed otos like that, but more than 3 might help in that direction ;)

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Watching this thread...... do all of these rules apply to nano tanks as well? Like 5, 7, 10 gallon tanks? I read it twice but missed maybe what Teddy's mom was told to feed her plants? I understand now that the excel doesnt feed but helps them absorb nutrients? What food? Tabs? And would it apply to the very easy plants I've been advised to begin with? I'm trying to understand what mistakes she made... or is it just trial and error to a point? BTW Teddys mom, your tank sounds beautiful to me. I hope everyone is happy now. Seems the more I read the more confused I get. But thanks for letting me lurk first now.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Most rules will apply to all sized tanks...

But the bigger the tank, the slower things will change, so it ends up being more stable. You do have to worry more about stocking appropriately . There is less room for a bigger fish to swim in a nano tank, less room to make a territory etc. But otherwise not much difference.

As for feeding, the lower tech and slower growing something is, the less nutrients etc. will be required. But root feeding plants (say rosettes) will need root fertilization or could use it in one form or another. Stem plants and epiphites will get it from the water column... So liquid or powdered stuff that is added directly to the water, not to the substrate.

Hope that helps, it's late so I may not make much sense.

But start a new thread to keep everything of yours in one spot.

And there is an element of trial and error.. you get to know what can be deficient if there is a problem, and you go from there... A bit like changing a recipe to better suit your taste.

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Good to know. Advice here seems based on knowledge. Some other forums appear to be more of a shouting out of opinions which is really confusing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store