Osmocote Plus DIY Root Tabs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I've watched a lot of YouTube videos showing people making DIY root tabs using a time released fertilizer called Osmocote Plus and 00 gelatin capsules.

This got me pretty excited, since it was so much cheaper than buying root tabs at the pet store...

Then I learned that Osmocote Plus was discontinued and then brought back on the market under a new formulation that had an inferior source of potassium and lacked calcium. The old stuff was in orange bottles and the new stuff is in pink bottles.

A recommended alternative on a lot of forums was Dynamite Select, which corrected these two problems, but lacked zinc.

So, I kinda felt like I was in a now win situation here. Someone on reddit suggested I buy both the new Osmocote Plus and the Dynamite Select and mix them together. I thought that was a pretty good idea, but decided I would need to do half and half in each gelatin capsule to ensure each tab had both. If I dumped the two into a bowl and mixed them, I may end up with tabs that were 100% of one of the products and missing either zinc or calcium.

Then I had this idea of checking stores for "new old stock," bottle that may be setting on the shelf for years. I thought I could find a bottle of the old stuff.

Well my lazy *ss found the old stuff on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282308601417

$18.00 for a 4.5 lb bottle. That will probably last me years, if not decades.

Some YouTube videos on DIY root tabs:

And a video on the Dynamite Plus:

And a picture of the bottles.

Original Osmocote Plus in orange bottle:

New pink bottle:

Reactions: Went Away

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If I ever got off my lazy butt, I'd be more likely to formulate my own root tabs using dry ferts and red clay...

The problems I have seen have been with ammonia spikes if the osmocote should get to the water column through floating up or via replanting... also there's lottle point to using the capsules to get them into thee substrate... easier to not add anything uneeded and freeze them into fertsicles (IMO)

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
If I ever got off my lazy butt, I'd be more likely to formulate my own root tabs using dry ferts and red clay...

The problems I have seen have been with ammonia spikes if the osmocote should get to the water column through floating up or via replanting... also there's lottle point to using the capsules to get them into thee substrate... easier to not add anything uneeded and freeze them into fertsicles (IMO)
The spikes I have seen are from Ammonium, not ammonia. Ammonium is supposed to be harmless to fish, but still shows up on Ammonia test kits.

My Osmocote arrived on Wednesday, and my gelatin capsules arrive today. I'll be trying the stuff out on Monday. Going away for the weekend, so I can't monitor the tank while I am away. Best to wait till I return.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Harmless to fish doesn't mean that it will not be considered food to algae.

It should work... but for me it'd be just as easy to make my own root tabs completely from scratch... just some powders, some dry clay, and a few drops of water.

At least once that day arrives that I get off my butt.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Meh, no wonder I'm not a good fertilizer, lol ( I'm lazier than dougall). I've heard gel caps can migrate to the substrate surface & clay can be a mess too. I have done neither.

Let us know how it works for you, I'd like to know in case I ever want to try it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store