Fish dying....white stringy poop...skinny

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mandyaj_25

AC Members
Oct 22, 2008
My fish are dying one by one.

Tank is fully cycled with plants.
Water readings are perfect.
Tank has been up and running for two months.
26 gallon
Plates, guppies, tetras, corys, gourami

I've noticed the fish are getting extremely skinny and have white stringy poop. I live in a small town so I grabbed the only thing on the shelf which is jungle lifeguard all in one treatment. I googled the symptoms and I do believe they have internal parasites. The medication box reads as if it's effective for external parasites only. Does anyone have any experience with this problem or this medication? thanks.

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I haven't had to treat for internal parasites, but it's my understanding that medicated food is the best option if the fish are still eating. I have heard positive results from others that used New Life Spectrum HEX SHIELD Sinking Pellets

predatorkeeper87

AC Members
May 30, 2015
Order some Metroplex, and get some Epsom salts.

soak food in metro with Epsom salts as well, and treat the tank with Epsom salts. If the fish aren't eating at this point you'll want to treat the tank with metro, its a small enough tank I'd advise doing that anyway.

Sounds like hexamita to me, or at least the most common cause of sudden death with the symptoms stated.

mandyaj_25

AC Members
Oct 22, 2008
Thanks so much for the advice. I have ordered the metro and a little extra in case this ever happens again.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Make sure to check the shelf life. Most meds don't last terribly long, so stockpiling isn't very cost effective.

Reactions: mandyaj_25

mandyaj_25

AC Members
Oct 22, 2008
So I am getting a lot of conflicting information on how to dose with metroplex.

First of all the meds came in the mail very late and in the waiting period my fish are now showing signs of fin rot . I picked up some Melafix to treat it. I dosed my tank today.

I ordered both metroplex and focus to treat the hex. I'm just confused on how to do it. there is conflicting info on amounts of Epsom salts and meds to use. Can someone explain how to effectively use the meds or maybe point me to a reputable website source? Thanks so much!

IMG_0251.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store