confused about rainbows

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

p0tluck

AC Members
Nov 9, 2015
so today i finished my stocking on my 55 gallon,, i called about a dozen places all over the us very high rated aquarium shops to make sure before i bought my rainbows that i didnt have to have 5 of each to make the required 5 ( this is hard to word) aqadvisor recommends you have 5 of each, i was told thats false so i called over a dozen places they all told me no i didnt have to have 5 of each species i could mix them and it would be fine ( places all over the U.S from florida to new york), so now i am totally worried that they will stress and die, i spent a bunch of money today on fishes 6 rainbows (2 boesemans, 2 red irian, 2 emerald).. i have 1 turquoise already in the tank so 7 total, 3 ornate tetras (candy cane) , 3 lemon tetras, im confused i know they will loosely school but will they still be okay? VERY hard to put into writing, they recommend 5 of each species example 5 turquoise 5 boesemans etc etc should i of just waited until my lfs got more turquoise or will they be okay?

also aqadvisor is telling me my tank is 94% stocked and my fishes are small, are they going by full grown size when they calculate that? im not concerned with the stocking level because i keep my water pristine but im confused on how they figure 20 fish total in a 55 gallon is 94% stocked (7 rainbows, 6 ornate tetras, 6 lemon tetras, 1 calico BN), i didnt include my clown loaches because they are being taken back on friday as i know my tank isnt big enough for them and they are getting quite big.

i will have a bigger tank soon probably a 75-90 gallon i have to get the weight my floor can hold (old house) but i still know the loaches get to big and i dont think my floor will hold a 150 gallon so i guess what im asking is...will my rainbows be okay even though there are 7 total but they are not the same species? and also right now my water parameters are absolutely perfect 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite , 20 nitrate (because of fert dosing) i do 18 gallon pwc's weekly roughly 30% what should i bump it up to? aqadvisor says 27% (scratches head))

Last edited:

p0tluck

AC Members
Nov 9, 2015
heres a video on the tank please dont make fun of it im still working out the kinks and getting my ferts right, also whatevers on the glass is a pain to get off, i was told its bio film but i think my scub pad is to course to take it off gonna get a magna float tomorrow

HydroponicFish

AC Members
Nov 6, 2016
I find any fish that school or shoal are happy with any like sized schooling fish. I had a lone female guppy in a 55, she was as timid and skittish as can be, but once I put in a school of Neon/Praecox rainbows, she was schooling with them and happy as can be.

p0tluck

AC Members
Nov 9, 2015
I find any fish that school or shoal are happy with any like sized schooling fish. I had a lone female guppy in a 55, she was as timid and skittish as can be, but once I put in a school of Neon/Praecox rainbows, she was schooling with them and happy as can be.
i think i have a problem lol, i asked for all males but i think a female slipped in cause they are young and you cant really sex them yet, BUT every rainbow but 2 are flashing at each other lol looks like disco lights in my tank, they all colored up so nice in just the 8.5 hours they've been in there they are amazing gorgeous fish.

will this be an issue with aggression if there is a female in there? or could the males just flashing for dominance??

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Agreed. Keep in mind that with a female in there, you run the risk of hybridization, which isn't a great thing. They'll be fine together.

To the best of my knowledge, aquadvisor uses the adult size of the animal. Being at or near the limit is risky--it basically means that if there's a single point of failure, you run the risk of crashing the tank. Bigger water changes are better! Exporting wastes, replace minerals. It's a good thing.

p0tluck

AC Members
Nov 9, 2015
Agreed. Keep in mind that with a female in there, you run the risk of hybridization, which isn't a great thing. They'll be fine together.

To the best of my knowledge, aquadvisor uses the adult size of the animal. Being at or near the limit is risky--it basically means that if there's a single point of failure, you run the risk of crashing the tank. Bigger water changes are better! Exporting wastes, replace minerals. It's a good thing.
well 94% isnt the end game, just means bigger water changes to keep parameters in check, i have plants, so per Tom Barrs post about low tech non co2 tanks he states dont change water every week, but i have to with this much stocking not a big deal as i know im almost at capacity and i will havea bigger tank in the near future these rainbows are still very very small except my turquoise hes huge,, they are all schooling together today amazing sight to see i love these fish.

i can say i dont agree with bigger are better as i have done 50% twice a week and my tank was absolutely horrible, i do 30% weekly now and my tank is crystal clear and parameters are spot on

water test.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MardieJane

p0tluck

AC Members
Nov 9, 2015
To me that looks like nitrates above 40, which IMO is too high.
its not my phone makes it look darker its 20-25 which is perfect, not to mention ii dose 20 ppm weekly for my plants
dont look in the middle of the tube theres a shadow behind iit look at the very edges thats close to the actual color very light orange

Last edited:

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Why would anyone make fun of your tank. I think it's got great "furnishings" lol. I have no idea, I'm just speaking as a newbie who likes planded tanks. It's like moving into a new house. You keep moving things around until it feels comfortable. Same with the yard. You start out with little plants that can't show off yet because they have the had time to fill out.
I like your choices of hardscape (I'm assuming that IS non living aspects) and your plants have nice shaped leaves. I've seen some very pretty low tech tanks that are mature.
Your rainbows are very pretty. If you move them, since they are so peaceful, couldn't you keep a couple of your favorites in there and add tank mates who will enjoy that tank when it's mature? I'm hoping for that one day. Which types are flashing and is that only because there is a female present or would they be pretty anyway?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store