58g Planted w/overflow and sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Amanos are insane! I put a shrimp trap in the tank just now. tthey swarmed me instantly and before I could even dry my arm and step back one was in the trap. Within 60 seconds all 9 were around the trap and in 3 mins 7 were in it. RCS (who I am trying to catch) don't seem to give a flip lol. Let me tell you, 7 Amano with food in a water bottle is some craziness. (8th one just swam in). So now I don't wanna leave them in there or put them back into the tank to just get trapped again so I think I will toss em in the 29g and maybe they will clean up the remaining algae in there even. I know they are easy enough to trap to take them back out of the 29g at least. And there is the 9th one, brb.

Ok then that was easy! Now if only the RCS would be so ravenous.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
LOL! Maybe the RCS will be easier to trap without an Amano storm.

Glass isn't too hard to cut. Just score it once & put on something to support half a little above a flat (towel covered) surface (maybe 1/4-1/2 inch? ). Then wearing gloves & eye protection just press down. It's, as you said, much harder to remove just a little...how much are you talking?

HD might cut it for you, I think ours does. Ace & True Value will too but you may have to buy a larger piece so they can cut it, they can't do very small cuts either AFAIR. That was the wonderful thing about the glass place I had mine done, they polished the edges too, maybe even bullnosed them but it was 1/4inch.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I've caught 2 in 19 hrs and it's like they all went into hiding, can't see any! WTH? lol

Less than an inch to remove from the one end. HD and Lowes won't cut it. I'll look into Ace and True Value, I never go there. Thanks.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Ah ha! Called True Value and Ace and neither cuts glass but the lady at Ace suggested a local (to her) hardware store and he said he'd do it! I was so surprised and excited I forgot to ask how much but oh well. lol So thanks for that Nancy!! Don't know when this is happening cause my schedule is kinda tight lately and it is 30 mins away and not in a direction I ever go.

Good/bad news.... Preggers dropped her fry! Bad part is I was not around when it happened and they said "F your divider" so everyone was everywhere. Not entirely sure how they did it though. I found 6 alive and hiding scattered through out the tank. Also scattered through out the tank was tiny bodies. :( Some still had yolk sacs even. But I guess that is from the stress of shipping...yeah I'm gonna chalk it up to that. Most of the survivors took some crushed spirulina flake so that's good at least. The adults had to have eaten some fry cause they didn't give a damn about my net or hands, they just wanted more tender morsels. And the 2nd largest male (for sure male, absolutely no doubt) is FAT.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Big long post! But it's got lots of pictures! :D I moved all the shrimp from the 29g back to here on Tuesday cause they were doing drastically worse in there. Most perked up almost immediately, others I believe are prepping to molt. I also moved over all my nerites and they seem to be loving life and the fact that this tank has glass algae, 29g gets none.

Apparently this is a good feeding area. 2 olives, 1 black spiky, 1 yellow spiky (riding on each other as usual, horny things! lol)
IMG_3410.JPG
Black spike, kinda hard to see. First time I've noticed that GSA on the Buce! Can see a blurry Zebra in the back too.
IMG_3392.JPG IMG_3395.JPG

Yellow horned
IMG_3398.JPG IMG_3400.JPG

Hiding Zebra 1 of 2
IMG_3404.JPG

Tried to get some pictures of the mollys but they are very active. All seem in great health too. Please keep in mind this is a QT that I added extra decor to for potential babies to hide in and to break it up more for the 1:1 ratio of M:F.

Left- is the fat male I was talking about. Body shape of a female but all the bottom fins are long and pointy
Right-My guess at the dominant male, best fins and colors and the only one that can chase him is that aggressive female. I know it is blurry but you can still see the blue sheen they have, particularly the right one in his black.
IMG_3416.JPG

All the way to left you can see the reflection of 2 of the females, they are almost completely black. There are 4 fish in this shot but they are kinda lined up and coming at me.
IMG_3415.JPG

Very blurry dom male and a female
IMG_3414.JPG

Left most towards bottom (very yellow) is the 3rd possible female, still unsure about her. Middle is the fat male. Bottom right is the other male and top right is the dom male, I think.
IMG_3412.JPG

Babies! Looks like I didn't get a shot with her/him in it but one of the babies is almost completely light colored.
IMG_3424.JPG
IMG_3423.JPG
IMG_3422.JPG

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
<3

But remember highschool math...

QT + Decor = DT ;)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I rebel against your logic! lol This tank will be a DT one day but not these fish and not this poor decor. ;)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I can offer you some endlers and Penn plax air driven decor!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Like the clam, diver and skeleton stuff? Fond memories from my childhood but I think I'll pass. Thanks though. :D Might take some endlers one day though, if I ever decide I want to just breed something they would be on my list.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Their days here are numbered till someone can be bothered to catch them.

If you choose quickly I am sure you would be welcome to them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store