Good 2-4 gallon aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Look for aquarium clubs in your area... There should be some... And there may be some members here that are close.

If you are in Florida I think there are around 3 or so clubs in the state, and numerous fish farms too.

As for having fish shipped, most all of my stock has come from http://msjinkzd.com/ I am able to drive there in a couple of hours, so don't need anything shipped to me, but I can vouch for how well she ships, and the quality of her stock.
Shipping may get expensive (relatively) as you have to pay to ship the water they will live in... But you can always find out how much it will be... And someone who is experienced with shipping will be able to tell you what is needed, if it has to be overnight etc.. it is in their best interest to ship as they can while keeping your fish healthy.

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Sooo sheepish, what did you find? Did you pick out a nano tank? Do you like it? I think it's a great idea to have one on hand, at least for me since I don't know what I'm doing and if I get a fish whose got a cranky disposition or want to quarantine before adding to a bigger tank... just seems like a good idea. Could plant it out even.
Post what you decide.

Last edited:

Sheepish

AC Members
Dec 18, 2016
New England
Real Name
L. C. Bartlett
I've not actually decided on anything yet MardieJane. I mean, I have a standard five gallon with a HOB and a heater that I was just going to use for RCS but if I can't find a slightly smaller one for a dedicated betta tank I'll just stick one in there. I'm going to be keeping my eyes open, though.

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Bulk reef supply has rimless tanks in small and medium sizes. If you have filters etc maybe one of those? Biggest problem is can see from reading here is they are jumpers. If you had glass cut for a lid I'm not sure where you would find hinges? Or maybe clips?
I was all ready to put a betta in a five gallon I had that was empty. Mind you I have no idea what I'm doing. This is all new to me. But I went to petco to buy a sponge I could use to make the waterfall filter softer, some black gravel and a heater...
Well I bought the sweetest little bay boy betta. Hes not super tiny, but really small. I got pellets and soaked them in his water and he will eat them right off my finger! About four or five tiny pellets is all i will give him twice a day. I think he would just keep eating them if I let him. The 5 gallon seemed so huge for one tiny fish. I found a 2.5 gallon penn plax vertex, glass tank at target on line. (I had a gift card laying around anyway) It has an hob filter but it only has a fuzzy carbon card that slips in a slot, which I'm using, but it neeed sponges stuffed in it to make the flow slower for him. Same issue I have with the 5 gallon tank. And I bought ceramic bio peices for it as well. It's a perfect size for him right now.
My only beef with the tank is the acrylic lid. But I'm going to take it over to a glass shop and get one cut because between the condensation from the heater and the milky plexiglass or whatever it is, light can't get through to the little anubia and Java ferns I bought him. I also ordered a ten dollar led light on amazon for it as it didn't come with one. And this small size requires water changes every other day. Hoping it will even itself out with a few more plants for weekly cleaning.
Overall I am very happy with it so far, it's only been a few days.
Mostly because he is happy and will eat off my finger.

Last edited:

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Hi,
I have a 2.5G Fluval Spec 3 tank that houses my Betta. It fits nicely on my desk and is easy to maintain, and cost about $50 plus a small 10W heater ($10.) It is a bit small, even for just one Betta. I am looking at the FluVal Spec5 (5G-$70) or possibly a 10G, which I'm told would be the best capacity for a Betta and I could add a few pygmy CoryDoras, a couple of Nerite snails and some red cherry shrimp.

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Moby2bettabuddy that sounds alot like mine. I have a 5 gallon tank also that just has plants a Nerite snail and couple of whisper/ghost shrimp (the clear ones) it's just cycling for now. Found out my tap water has nitrates initially so I've either got to get a filter to put on the faucet or keep buying bottled water. Not so bad for the baby tank but would get stupid fast for anything bigger.

I love the little pygmy cories. They are so cute and funny. How did you find out you could put them with a betta? Is it because they have the barbs on the side of their heads? Or do you have to find a betta with the right personality for that?
I really like the dumbo ear or elephant ear bettas. But all I've seen so far seem a little crazy at the store. (I carry a mirror, and take one over to a corner and wait for him to get used to that spot. Then put the mirror up. Some of the half moons flare but then just float around. The elephant ears freak out until I put it away hope that's not just part of that variety)

I got the fluval spec for my mom that's 5 gallons. It's a pretty tank. Fits on top of her fake fireplace (live in Florida) she has a couple of cories, shrimp and snails and has been trying to figure out what she wants to add. She can really only have a couple more tiny fish. I don't think she wants a betta in there though. She's liking the peacock guppies, and another blue tailed variety.

What do you have in your 2.5? I figured after the baby got big it could be for quarantine or for sick fish... or babies? Or cherry shrimp I guess. It does have several plants. Just java ferns, anubia and a sword which all seem to be growing well and staying green.

Tropicalfishlover

AC Members
Apr 13, 2017
For a betta I would say minimum 5 gallons as they get stressed very easily if in tiny tanks like bowls etc . I've got mine in a 15g with some swordtails and cherry shrimp. Fluval spec is a good tank for a betta or the one am using marina vue 60. If I was you i would use a sponge filter easy to maintain and good biological filtration then 10-15% water change once a week but for a smaller tank more maintenance..

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
For a betta I would say minimum 5 gallons as they get stressed very easily if in tiny tanks like bowls etc . I've got mine in a 15g with some swordtails and cherry shrimp. Fluval spec is a good tank for a betta or the one am using marina vue 60. If I was you i would use a sponge filter easy to maintain and good biological filtration then 10-15% water change once a week but for a smaller tank more maintenance..[/QUOTEHi there. Always appreciate knowledge. My baby. Is he ok in the 2.5? He seems happy now. Lots of plants relative to size of tank. If so, how old should he be when I move him to the 5 gallon? Should the other fish you suggested be in the tank before he gets moved? Or should he go first and get those fish after? His tiny tank (2.5) gets changed every three days right now.
Both tanks are planted.

Tropicalfishlover

AC Members
Apr 13, 2017
Well for now as long as he is below 2 inch he should be okay but I would consider getting a 5 gallon as soon as possible bettas usually grow to about 3 inches but sometimes maybe 3.5 inches so 1 inch = 1 gallon that's the way I've been doing it so for a betta to be happy and thrive 3.5inch = 3.5 gallons but still get a 5 gallon as when you put the filter and the decor he will lose a bit of space unless you use a canister filter which would not make sense for a 5 gallon so it's up to you ... Also you mentioned your tanks both planted what type of plants ? Are you using co2 if so I would recommend you the fluval co2 20 great little kit for up to 15 gallon tanks or you can make your own co2 system that's what I'll be doing for the new 4ft tank yay ! . Again any questions or if you wish to get more information let me know

Happy fish keeping !

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
I'm looking for a nice small tank, likely just for a betta and a snail or two unless I want to do endlers or sparkling gourami. I love the cubed aquariums but all the ones I've been looking at on Amazon seem to have less-than-stellar reviews. Does anyone know of a nice little aesthetically-pleasing tank that won't set me back an arm and a leg? Thank you. :)
why don't you just get standard 10 gallon for $8.99 or so? The smaller tanks are very difficult to maintain water quality......a 10g is already hard enough, I can't imagine keeping up with 4 gallon and doing water changes every single day

I have also seen Bettas close to 5" even so even for a lone Betta w/ no tankmates, a 5g should be minimum, 10g if u want tankmates

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store