Please help I'm about to give up on fishes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Suckie is awesome, I love plecos. Post pics of your unknown cichlids and we can ID them for you. And then can better tell you if you should add the separated cichlid back.

What is the nitrate reading from your tap? If it is 20ppm or higher I'd suggest getting a RO unit. If nitrates in tap are that high water changes help of course but are futile in the long run cause what you are adding is already higher than what you want in the end. Spring water is actually going to be way more expensive and it is surprisingly varied from bottle to bottle so you never know exactly what you're getting. Your LFS might sell RO water too. But IMO with a big pooper like Suckie your best bet is to buy your own RO unit. You could cut your tap with RO or go with only RO water. If you use only RO water you will need to reconstitute it with the proper minerals.

The Typhoon is a popular choice. For comparison...Say you get 1g of spring water for $1 and on your tank you should be changing at least 30% or ~20g every week so in 2 months that RO system would have paid for itself, at a bare minimum.

Prime will detoxify nitrates (to some extent) but the dosage required to remove any nitrates would certainly be deadly. It is good to use as a temporary safety precaution until you figure out a better water situation but not as a long term solution for your nitrates. It can be dosed every 48hrs instead of 24 btw.

If you are not interested in anything I suggested than I strongly recommend trying Pothos plants. Just put their roots in the water and they only need ambient room light to grow, super easy. Heck, even if you get RO pothos would still help.

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Your tap water may have seasonal issues with nitrate depending on where you live & your water source. I'd think about RO (or maybe just a carbon filter?) for drinking water if it's over 20ppm. I think the EPA "safe" drinking level in 10ppm...

Tropicalfishlover

AC Members
Apr 13, 2017
The yellow water is usually caused by new wood added to the tank called tenants what I would do is boil the wood to get rid of it faster. If you can't maintain your tank then it could be a few things like overfeeding , what's your ammonia reading ? Try to do a big water change 50% if that dosent do it there is other things you can do but don't want to waste time then just restart the tank that usually
Always works not the best method but it does work . And if you want to grow plants how good is your lighting is it stock ? What's the wattage ? What plants ? In sand or aqua soil ? Co2 or no co2 ? And for a good filter I would use sponge filters as you never have to change them great for biological filtration but you may have to do 15 to 20% water changes once a week

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I have to disagree w/tropicalFL, you need to do much more than 15-20% water changes to even stay in a stable range of all params, especially if you have ANY nitrate in you source water. That will lead to high levels of nitrate over not much time.

I like to do at LEAST 30% every week (usually more), way more if you can & if you have tap nitrate, do more! But even that is a losing the nitrate battle over time (see "old tank syndrome"). I wish chef keith had kept his nitrate calculator up (I understand the issue with that). But it's kinda a math story problem...if you remove 30% of say 20ppm tank water + add back 5ppm tapwater...& then carry that out over even 3 months...you will see that doesn't work...even if your tap is 0 nitrate, you're still falling behind before long.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
Spring water sounds like an expensive way to go. It may be more cost effective in the long term to get an RO system.
Or just do larger water changes..

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd agree, almost...except that are different "spring water" sources. I used to live where you could literally drive up & fill containers off the hillside. But I am doubtfut of "spring water" in grocery stores. But either may have "different" water compared to tap. Just test it!

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
So. I know NOTHING, just getting that clear first. But I am also having ammonia nitrate issues with my tap water. And we might be moving so I know there are probably other reasons a person can't run out and buy a 200 -300$ RO system even though they love their fish.
My test results are under my thread "tap water conundrum" but what I've figured out from research seems to be making a difference.
It can't hurt anyway.
Go get a huge pothos plant from Walmart or wherever. Wash ALL the dirt from the roots. Including the little fertilizer pellets or peices of wood they've been grown in. You can even trim the roots with scissors after. ( leave at least two inches of roots, I do know a lot about plants in every day life) and stick that I your filter or for a tank your size the whole plant will be used. You want the roots not just cuttings because the roots will suck the nitrates out. The cuttings will have to make roots first before that process begins. (I've got a dinky 5gal so one chunk in my filer but still it's working) just pin pieces all over with just the roots under the water. Use clips or whatever will hold them up. They will suck nitrates out of your water.
I have been buying purified water from aldi. .79 CENTS still could get crazy with tank your size. Purified is consistent, spring isnt, guy at fish store I trust said I could get RO water from my grocery. He said I would look a lttle crazy taking my 5 tal bucket in there but if i was willing it was way cheaper that bottled so I am going this week to ask about it.
I have been able to do half and half with my tap. I'm hoping to be mostly bottled water free soon.
If your having ammonia problems too my thread tells what I'm trying for that. Not exactly a beautiful streamlined soulution but cheap.It's working kind of, for now, need to keep testing. It's out of the box so it might seem a little screwy. But whatever it takes, you try what you can. These fixes are CHEAP and can't hurt.
I would love to run out and get an RO. But it's not reasonable for me at the moment. I am looking on Craigslist for used since it's for fish and buying media to replace is not such a strange thing, but I haven't seen one yet.
Your pleco seems like a fun guy...girl? Anyone who gas been a part of your life that long... lol knows your whole story... don't we talk to our pets more than anyone! Ha what a cute guy love his Polk a dots. Bet he was as big as your thumb when you brought home home!
Hoping you get things straight. Soon. And remember I am a newbie these are just things I am trying as alternative to purchasing an RO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store