What kind of turtle is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I'm a little confused about the feedback on licenses the seller my daughter got our Turt from is doing something illegal and etc. but there numerous websites that sell these same turtles, about the size of a quarter, online. They are bred, not taken from the wild. Not just red-eared, but many other turtles. I'm a little confused.
It doesnt matter if you see it, its illegal. The problem is that most people dont know. Im not trying to make you feel bad, just informing you. Youre not the one who did something illegal, the seller did. Its not wild vs captive thats the problem with small turtles, as sliders breed very easily in captivity. Its an environmental and health concern. The only reason I mention it, is that I, personally, believe that when we own animals it is important that we know every law in our federal and local government concerning that animal.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.newsweek.com/2015/06/12/illegal-animal-traders-have-turned-baby-red-eared-sliders-health-and-337903.html?amp=1

"Since 1975, however, selling baby turtles that are less than 4 inches long has been illegalin the U.S., because some reptiles—red-eared sliders included—can harbor salmonella on their skin. While red-eared sliders of any size can carry potentially deadly bacteria, cheap, adorable and seemingly low-maintenance baby turtles are the ones most likely to be purchased on a whim and given to very young children as pets."

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=1240.62

"b) Sales; general prohibition. Except as otherwise provided in this section, viable turtle eggs and live turtles with a carapace length of less than 4 inches shall not be sold, held for sale, or offered for any other type of commercial or public distribution.

(c) Exceptions. The provisions of this section are not applicable to:

(1) The sale, holding for sale, and distribution of live turtles and viable turtle eggs for bona fide scientific, educational, or exhibitional purposes, other than use as pets."

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
First off...please discourage anyone from buying these animals from non-pet stores. The turtle was more likely illegally taken from the wild. http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/managed/freshwater-turtles/

It's probably a yellow belly slider, or a hydrid of a yellow belly and a red ear given this is Florida. Adult size is 9-13 inches for either gender (females get bigger). It DEFINITELY needs to be able to get completely out of the water. Make sure to give him UVB light, as it's critical for shell development. There are lots of websites that provide detailed care, but please understand, this is an animal that lives 30-40 YEARS, and is eventually going to need at least a 75 gallon tank.
There is no way that seller's license was legal. Its against federal law to sell turtles under four inches unless it is an educational purpose, i.e. selling them to a school.

The turtle needs a filter, a heater (water 68-76 F), a dry basking spot with temp about 80 and a UVB (the 5.0 one for tropical animals) bulb, he needs a calcium rich diet but also one that includes a bit of plant matter. He'll need a tank that is 4 ft x 2 ft at bare minimum.
This X10. 2 Different bulbs, one UVA for basking to provide heat and a UVB which says "5.0 UVB" .....if the light is not within 12-20" of the basking spot a 10.0 UVB will be needed since the range on a 10.0 is farther.

And yes, it looks to be a Yellow-bellied Slider, I agree. Reptomin is a good choice for starters, but they will also appreciate carrots, romaine and other leafy greens. Avoid feeder-fish but live insects are good as well as a few types of frozen foods, fresh or freeze-dried shrimp and krill, etc

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
It doesnt matter if you see it, its illegal. The problem is that most people dont know. Im not trying to make you feel bad, just informing you. Youre not the one who did something illegal, the seller did. Its not wild vs captive thats the problem with small turtles, as sliders breed very easily in captivity. Its an environmental and health concern. The only reason I mention it, is that I, personally, believe that when we own animals it is important that we know every law in our federal and local government concerning that animal.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.newsweek.com/2015/06/12/illegal-animal-traders-have-turned-baby-red-eared-sliders-health-and-337903.html?amp=1

"Since 1975, however, selling baby turtles that are less than 4 inches long has been illegalin the U.S., because some reptiles—red-eared sliders included—can harbor salmonella on their skin. While red-eared sliders of any size can carry potentially deadly bacteria, cheap, adorable and seemingly low-maintenance baby turtles are the ones most likely to be purchased on a whim and given to very young children as pets."

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=1240.62

"b) Sales; general prohibition. Except as otherwise provided in this section, viable turtle eggs and live turtles with a carapace length of less than 4 inches shall not be sold, held for sale, or offered for any other type of commercial or public distribution.

(c) Exceptions. The provisions of this section are not applicable to:

(1) The sale, holding for sale, and distribution of live turtles and viable turtle eggs for bona fide scientific, educational, or exhibitional purposes, other than use as pets."

I believe there is a minimum size exemption for non commercial breeding, if I'm not mistaken.

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
In the United States, it is illegal to sell a turtle under 4" "in connection with a business" for public distribution as a pet except for "bona fide... educational purposes.....". That means that "hobbyists" can sell baby turtles, but not a business. And, trying to give away a baby slider with the purchase of a tank or set-up is still considered "public distribution" and is thus illegal, and a pet store trying to sell them for "educational purposes" is also breaking the law - the FDA does not consider a pet store to be for "bona fide...educational purposes". I've seen a memo from the FDA to a pet store in Florida telling them they were in violation of the law even though the store was trying to sell the baby turtles for educational purposes only.

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
My point, Tifftastic Tifftastic
  • In keeping with their public health orientation, the regulations basically cover the mass marketing of turtles to the general public. Because the regulations specifically exclude sales not in connection with a business, most private party sales of surplus stock by hobbyists are unaffected by this law.
The complete regulations are reprinted below from:
21 CFR Ch. 1 (4-1-91 Edition

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store