Thinking about doing a reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The camaro show

AC Members
Apr 10, 2017
So guys I've had my 90 gallon freshwater tank for 6 years now and I feel like I can do a saltwater tank and I really want a salt tank but I like coral because I feel like if I'm going to do a tank just do it all I was thinking a 125-180 gallon what do you think and I really like angels such as a queen and flame and lemon peel and tangs I also love love dogface puffers but I hear they are a 50/50 with coral what fish are peaceful then semi aggressive and then aggressive and what about corals

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
The dark side has always called to me but I've never answered, got REALLY close recently though.

At that size tank it is a substantial investment up front and long term even. Most people say to stay in like the 40-90 range for first timers but if you feel confident and have the cash to burn, go big!

I have nothing constructive to add, just wanted to chime in. I wish you the best! And bring us along. :)

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
It will be interesting to see how it turns out for you. Being new to this hobby all together I can't give advice either except it seems there are always hiccups. And as I'm trying planted, filling the tank is a rather hard thing to do. If you like corals, which we see everywhere here in central Florida, even tiny peices are expensive.
If it's anything like freshwater in that seemingly simple mistakes in the beginning can cost you your whole project and your pets. There are some beautiful nano reefs that showcase what looks to me to be lots of different corals and fewer fish, that it seems like a 50 gallon would have a lot of options! Like 5 of these beautiful nano tanks.
The equipment doesn't seem that different but the techniques do. And the products read completely different. Like going from film to digital. That was a learning curve foe a lot of us darkroom people.
Hope it goes well and being here will definitely get you past some bumps in the road. Super amount of experience available which is better than any book.

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Maybe start a new thread with your two top choices of size and stocking. Give a short list of fish you would like to try next, most and you will get a lot of input. Be ready to say what you think are the pros and cons of each since you already have experience and they will see that and advise accordingly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store