Pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brodysfish

AC Members
Aug 3, 2016
Hey guys,

I am thinking of building a large pond with dimensions (6x1.5x2m) which will be 18000 litres and wondering what fish I could put in it I would rather have some cool exotic species than just normal goldfish and koi.

It will be a heated tank that will live in a large greenhouse in the garden to help with heat control.

Also would it not be too expensive to build it out of concrete and add a glass panel to the front

Thx guys

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
When you say heated, what temps are you talking? That will be the primary factor in what fish you can keep. If you're in a warmer climate, and can maintain 60-70's year round, with higher in the summer, there are a wide variety of fish that will be fine in a large pond, including many South American/Mexican cichlids, catfish, tetras or other temperate water animals. If you don't want those or won't be able to maintain the temps year round, I wouldn't mix goldfish and koi. They are not the same animal, and have different needs.

It would be fine to build from concrete, but you will need to line it, as concrete on it's own will alter the water chemistry. Plan how you're going to do water changes and maintain water chemistry--plants in the tank aren't really an option with goldfish, you'd need to keep them in planters or have a sump. Water movement will be another critical issue to address, since any large bodied animal will need LOTS of oxygen and that means lots of water movement or airstones, which means big pumps. Read up on pond design--there are many right ways to build a pond for fish, but there are WAY more wrong ways to do it. I don't know enough to build one, I just know enough to know I don't want to do it.

I do setup tubs each summer with a variety of water lilies and marginals, and stock them with fish from my tanks. White cloud minnows do very well, as do cooler water paradise fish, and last year I had success with emperor tetras. My fish go out in June, and I bring them back in around September. No hardware, just plants for the filtration. I use stock tanks, for the most part.

Reactions: myswtsins

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
I usually a single stock golden channel catfish and/or small school of pangasius(1000g minimum enclosure) in my koi ponds but occasionally add CA cichlids to the mix.

IMG_5338.JPG

IMG_5524.JPG

IMG_0636 (2).JPG

IMG_3932 (3).JPG

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
When you say heated, what temps are you talking? That will be the primary factor in what fish you can keep.
Agreed! Where are you located too?

Is it going to be completely above ground or partially below ground too? There are so many things to consider when choosing between concrete or rubber liner (or other). Cost, repairs, geographical location (earthquakes?), appearance etc. It is a lot of personal preference though too.

I usually a single stock golden channel catfish and/or small school of pangasius(1000g minimum enclosure) in my koi ponds but occasionally add CA cichlids to the mix.

View attachment 221529

View attachment 221530

View attachment 221531

View attachment 221532
Nice! I want a channel catfish SO bad but their negatives out weight the positives for me. Only positive is that I like them actually lol.

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
I like stocking catfish to limit reproduction in my koi and/or tilapia ponds

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

Reactions: myswtsins
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store