Jack dempsey ir acara blue sexting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Male/female dempsey/acara

• Male/female

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Acara

• Dempsey

• Male/male

• Acara/dempsey

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Ok. Spawn still all well and growing. Managing ok so far. But big problem is male has turned on the female. She hides top of tank and gone really dark. Really worried. Should i remove her?.
He wants her to spawn again. You can remove the babies, but he shouldn't be too much of a threat to her unless you have a really dumb male. My male does the same behaviors to my female too, but I have never even seen her get a torn fin much less an actual missing scale.

It may look violent to you, but I think he knows what limits NOT to push and what lines NOT to cross. This is millions of years of evolution - they do this and have been doing this in the wild for millennia, it's just that they have more room for the female to get away from the male, so MY advice would be leave the fry where they are and move the PAIR to bigger tank.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Ok. Spawn still all well and growing. Managing ok so far. But big problem is male has turned on the female. She hides top of tank and gone really dark. Really worried. Should i remove her?.
He wants her to spawn again. You can remove the babies, but he shouldn't be too much of a threat to her unless you have a really dumb male. My male does the same behaviors to my female too, but I have never even seen her get a torn fin much less an actual missing scale.

It may look violent to you, but I think he knows what limits NOT to push and what lines NOT to cross. This is millions of years of evolution - they do this and have been doing this in the wild for millennia, it's just that they have more room for the female to get away from the male, so MY advice would be leave the fry where they are and move the PAIR to bigger tank.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Females are tougher than you (or the males) think, lol. He's ready, as Frank said, she's still in momma mode...for now. But both lose interest in fry care & are ready to spawn again. You can either remove the parents or the fry (all you can catch).

At some point you'll need to decide to leave the fry & let them take their chances with the parents...cichlids often breed every 4 weeks or less. Unless you live a big market area, you may run out of "takers" for your fry, we did with several species back in the day.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Females are tougher than you (or the males) think, lol. He's ready, as Frank said, she's still in momma mode...for now. But both lose interest in fry care & are ready to spawn again. You can either remove the parents or the fry (all you can catch).

At some point you'll need to decide to leave the fry & let them take their chances with the parents...cichlids often breed every 4 weeks or less. Unless you live a big market area, you may run out of "takers" for your fry, we did with several species back in the day.
I think we can both agree for a breeding pair of Brasiliensis he needs bigger than a 20g tank.....a 75G w/ an Emperor 400 would be bare minimum IMO. As those fry get bigger, the bio-load will multiply 10x-over, weekly

Djfabricator

AC Members
Mar 26, 2017
Thanks for your replies, I removed the parents to a larger tank as it seemed like the juveniles were pecking at them in nunbers. But now the male has beaten the crap out of the female. Torn her fins up, was very stressed and dark when found her. She is now in another small tank, she's still alive just looking a bit worse for wear. Has he gone mad? Should i re introduce her later or sell him for being too agressive. Cheers.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Thanks for your replies, I removed the parents to a larger tank as it seemed like the juveniles were pecking at them in nunbers. But now the male has beaten the crap out of the female. Torn her fins up, was very stressed and dark when found her. She is now in another small tank, she's still alive just looking a bit worse for wear. Has he gone mad? Should i re introduce her later or sell him for being too agressive. Cheers.
it's typical for the male to be ready to spawn again before the female and if she's not ready this is what happens. Keep her alone and feed her a lot to bulk her back up nd replenish lost nutrients - the parenting process is very straining and it will drain the female especially. Do not reintroduce her for a few months or so.

When you finally do put them back together, introduce the male to the female's tank. This way the female has already claimed dominance over her territory and the male is in a new environment and less likely to push her around.

For now, you can help her heal faster by adding Stress Coat and 1 Tablespoon of noniodized tablesalt for every 5 gallons of water and do frequent water changes, re-adding the stress coat and salt with every water change

Reactions: Djfabricator

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I agree with what Frank has suggested. Not much to add to it in fact, other than that recent reading has taught me you don't need to worry if the salt is iodized or not. Its such a small amount of iodine it won't hurt them.

Reactions: Djfabricator

Djfabricator

AC Members
Mar 26, 2017
That's great, tanks again. I will get them today. She seems much happier today. Hope she fully recovers. Thanks for your advice... big learning curve. One question were the juveniles trying to eat them as looked like they were damaging dorsil fins or were they grooming? Thanks again. Ed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store