help with plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Edron

AC Members
Nov 9, 2016
hi. I have been adding plants to my aquarium but have no idea what they are called. I have baught a few assortment bundles but they all were not labeled. I am planning on soiling the tank, right now i just have sand with a few api root tabs.
Here what i got!
IMG_2041.JPG IMG_2046.JPGIMG_2047.JPG IMG_2048.JPGIMG_2049.JPG IMG_2050.JPGIMG_2051.JPG IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2053.JPG

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What help are you looking for? I will say that the java fern (far right side, next to the moss ball) shouldn't be buried like that--the 'viney' portion needs to be above the substrate, and it would be fine securing itself to rock or wood. There are also a few plants that don't look aquatic to me.

What's your lighting?

Reactions: Edron

Edron

AC Members
Nov 9, 2016
What help are you looking for? I will say that the java fern (far right side, next to the moss ball) shouldn't be buried like that--the 'viney' portion needs to be above the substrate, and it would be fine securing itself to rock or wood. There are also a few plants that don't look aquatic to me.

What's your lighting?
I have a 48" T5h0 with zoo med flora sun and ultra sun bulbs. One of each. On a 95ish gallon wave front. I was just looking for some input. New to plants.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
For generic input... my suggestions would be to spread out the plants a bit, I know you cannot split out rosette plants much (swords for example) but stem plants (I think I see a species of hygrophilia and cabomba as a couple of examples) will need to get down to their base, or they will start to rot there in the absence of light.

Try to learn to identify the plants you have, and from there cater to their needs. Personally I'd equate your lighting to maybe medium light, but it's really strange with such an unusually shaped tank.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/index.php should help a little with identification

But as noted above the java fern needs to have its rhizome out of the sand in order to grow... it could be attached to wood or rock if wanted too... I think I saw bolbitis heudelotii in there, it's another fern that needs its rhizome kept out of the substrate in order to grow, and can be attached to other stuff.

I suggest rolling and reshaping your marimo ball too, to get it looking a bit rounder.

Reactions: Edron

Edron

AC Members
Nov 9, 2016
For generic input... my suggestions would be to spread out the plants a bit, I know you cannot split out rosette plants much (swords for example) but stem plants (I think I see a species of hygrophilia and cabomba as a couple of examples) will need to get down to their base, or they will start to rot there in the absence of light.

Try to learn to identify the plants you have, and from there cater to their needs. Personally I'd equate your lighting to maybe medium light, but it's really strange with such an unusually shaped tank.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/index.php should help a little with identification

But as noted above the java fern needs to have its rhizome out of the sand in order to grow... it could be attached to wood or rock if wanted too... I think I saw bolbitis heudelotii in there, it's another fern that needs its rhizome kept out of the substrate in order to grow, and can be attached to other stuff.

I suggest rolling and reshaping your marimo ball too, to get it looking a bit rounder.
Thanks for the input. I will check the site out. That moss ball is 3+ years old and come out of a betta bowl and has been ripped in two and split between tanks but is still looking nice green and fluffy

Edron

AC Members
Nov 9, 2016
I also have a marineland double led strip light that came with a 60 gallon heartland ensemble, that i am running on it too but i dont know if that helps the plants or not but it makes everything shine

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I also have a marineland double led strip light that came with a 60 gallon heartland ensemble, that i am running on it too but i dont know if that helps the plants or not but it makes everything shine
If it's light, and you can see the effect... it will be helping the plants ;)

The question is to how much, but I expect if you can see a difference using both lights at once, there will be a difference in growing.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Thanks for the input. I will check the site out. That moss ball is 3+ years old and come out of a betta bowl and has been ripped in two and split between tanks but is still looking nice green and fluffy
In nature, the balls are moved back and forth by the tides which helps them maintain their round shape,

It's always a good idea to take them out and roll and squeeze them in your hands.. to try to maintain them being round.

Edron

AC Members
Nov 9, 2016
I have a rena xp xl on the tank and with the wave front i get a really nice flow threw a good part of the tank. The ball is all over the place. I have two of the rena xls that i got for a gift but have only one set up and running

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I agree with the dougall on the moss ball care. Even if it gets rolled around by your current, taking it out and squeezing out a bit of detritus once a week will be extremely helpful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store