Angelfish eye trouble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WaterBaby

Senior Member with Senior Moments
Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
Hi All,

I have a female Angelfish with what looks like small white dots on her left eye and it also looks a little cloudy and maybe a little swollen. Her right eye is fine. Any ideas? No other fish sick, and no new additions except for pleco which I added 1.5 month ago.

No Ammonia, Nitrites, pH 7.0
Nitrates 5ppm
90 gallon tank, fluorite substrate, planted,
Canister filter, 25% water change once per week
1 Angelfish, 4 rainbows, 3 serpaes, 3 rasboras, 4 cories, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 baby female Betta

IMG_2382.PNG

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
When was your last water change? It looks like maybe it was rubbed on something? But hard to say for sure. Any other symptoms?

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
Last water change was last weekend and I am going to do one tomorrow. Thinking about isolating her and either keeping that water pristine or medicating her...... with what, I have no idea. Any suggestions? No other symptoms other than she is swimming a little funny. Head up, swimming obviously like she can't see very well. Kind of bobbing, but I have seen her swim side to side. Just cautious.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I think if you isolate her, then maybe does with salt and melafix. Its not too harsh and is kind of general. I don't see anything that screams fungal or bacteria, so I wouldn't recommend using any actual medications. As your tank water is already pretty "pristine," if you isolate her just change the water every day.

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
I will try that! Thank you!!

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
move her to a hospital tank and treat with penicillin. Penicillin is always the best remedy for anything eye-related

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
Just 1 day in salt and Melafix and already I see swelling going down a little.Eye is a little clearer. We will see!!

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Good to hear! Sometimes simple fixes are the easiest way to go. Melafix is a natural anti-inflammatory, so that may be part of what's helping.

The camaro show

AC Members
Apr 10, 2017
What's the temp? A hospital tank is always the best I would add just a tad of salt and add melafix but I would up the temp to 82-84

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Personally, I wouldnt up the temp. If its a bacterial or a fungal infection that can make the infection grow faster. If the fish is stressed it can actually increase stress and reduce the healing rate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store