Cadd’s First Community Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
And I am not a huge fan of stands like that. The 200 lbs or so of the aquarium will mostly be on the shear strength of the screws used.. I prefer there to be a Continuous length of wood vertically.
I agree. I started to type something up but couldn't word it in a way that didn't seem discouraging. Good job :)

cadd

AC Members
May 19, 2017
NJ
Thanks for the link myswtsins! When I purchased the 29 gal tank, I was given 4 new replacement cartridges as well. Fortunately, those fit in both HOB filters =)

This 29 gal stand is just a hack job I tossed together. I don't plan on keeping this tank or this stand (unless I keep it as a QT tank). I can add more vertical 2x4s to to put the weight off the screws if I decide to keep the tank.

cadd

AC Members
May 19, 2017
NJ
Alrighty! I jumped on the $1.00/gallon sale and grabbed a 55 gal Aqueon tank ($53 with coupon Pet Supplies Plus). Although it may not look it, the 55 gal tank on the ground is longer, wider and taller than the 29 gal on the stand.

I was also messing around and setting up the Penn Plax Cascade 1000 as well. I think all I need now are bio media for the media baskets in the canister. I’ll probably toss some bio media in both HOB filters as well (unless you tell me otherwise). Any suggestions on bio media? I was thinking either:
Seachem Matrix Bio Media (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002A5VI...e=df0&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0002A5VIO)
Or
Fluval Biomax Filter Media (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HHSG5M/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3W4U8KJ0B0390&colid=2Z04RU952LR2R)

Does it make a difference which one I use or how I use it? I’m open to other suggestions as well.

Setting up the Penn Plax Cascade 1000 was a unique experience. Never used a canister filter before. I always like to lube everything up before I fit things together. White lithium grease or silicone grease is my go to in the garage. But since, we’re dealing with live creatures, I decided to use something a little less toxic. I applied some of this lube on the hose & plastic fittings. Slides right in!

For this particular canister model, water flow is from the bottom to the top. There are 3 media trays. On the bottom tray, there’s this dark color course sponge material. The middle tray & top tray are filled with white floss pads. When I do purchase bio media, I don’t even know which tray to put them in. I look forward to your suggestions.

Those who use Penn Plax canister filters, the next time you do your cleaning maintenance, can you take a look and see if you have a “media basket joint seal”? I may be missing it. The owner’s manual shows a “media basket joint seal”

I didn’t see anything like that (or anything that resembles an O-ring).

I also picked up Black Diamond Blasting Sand after reading other hobbyist having success with it. ($8 Tractor Supply)

I’m not sure if I picked up the correct stuff. I selected medium grit. If you guys are using it, does this look right to you?

I have doubts because I remember seeing pure black in other members’ photos. The bag I have isn’t pure black.

In water:

After rinsing:

Running Total: $276
Remaining Budget: $224

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
55s are a great starter size, congrats!

Either bio-media would be fine are are both well liked. But honestly in a planted tank I find bio-media to be less of a priority to mechanical due to the heavy plant litter and the natural absorption of bio material by the plants. The plants themselves create a lot of surface area too and unless you are gonna overstock your tank a 55 worth of plants plus whatever media you use (mechanical still grows bacteria too just like every surface) should be sufficient. I have so much bio-media from my early days still that I use it cause I have it though. Only cheap alternative I have tried personally is pot scrubbers in my sump. Would they work as well in a canister? I can't say for sure, but I'd like to try one day! Lava rocks is another cheap alternative but I'd rather have another sponge personally.

I am not sure KY is aquarium safe either. lol Might wanna look that up. I've always used vaseline on my filter parts though and I'm pretty sure silicone grease is also safe but not 100% on that.

I like my filter media to go from coarse mech (usually a coarse sponge) to a med mech (med sponge even like blue bonded pads) to bio media (whatever) to a fine polisher (filter floss, quilt batting, micron pad) and last chemical IF needed (carbon, which I never use).

That looks like the right BDBS to me, medium is correct. It is natural coal slag so variations are normal.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Those who use Penn Plax canister filters, the next time you do your cleaning maintenance, can you take a look and see if you have a “media basket joint seal”? I may be missing it. The owner’s manual shows a “media basket joint seal”
Contact the manufacturer... if it's missing and needed, it will be difficult to return the filter for a refund if it's been used.

Chances are they will send you the piece, but always better to be sure.

and personally, on hoses, I don't use any sort of lubricant, just soak the hose ends in close to boiling water, and they expand and fit on much more easy after that.

I'd only use some sort of grease or whatever around o-rings. I've personally used Magic Lube II, but so long as it's food grade, it should be fine.. I'm a personal fan of using products that are tried and true though.

cadd

AC Members
May 19, 2017
NJ
I tested my tap water using the API master test kit and found the following:
PH: 7.6
High PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

I also tested the water that’s in my empty 29 gal tank (with 2 HOB & 1 canister filter running) that I have been ghost feeding (a tiny pinch of flakes a day):
High PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 5

I thought perhaps I was testing incorrectly. I decided to run to the local Walmart and grabbed water out of their Guppies tank and did the test in the parking lot with the following results:
High PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrate: 20

I got in contact with my town’s water utility and was provided the following information

If I’m understanding the chart correctly, it shows tap water contains 5ppm of Nitrate?

With this information, I was hoping you can help me decide on stocking. For now, I want to stick with hardy fish. Smaller, non aggressive community fish (livebearers and/or schooling fish). If you can think of anything that would thrive in my town’s water, please let me know.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Water report shows a nitrate range of 1.09 to 1.64ppm. It should only barely show on your test but it might look higher, color is hard to judge sometimes.

Cycling with ammonia is preferred by many of us but it takes several weeks. It's safer for fish. You can do a "fish in" cycle but you'll have to test daily & probably do large water changes daily too. Any ammonia or nitrite can damage fish permanently but .25ppm of either is ok-ish.

Did you read the tank cycling sticky at the top of the newby page? Good info!

cadd

AC Members
May 19, 2017
NJ
So the cycling isn’t really moving along. Still ghost feeding. No signs of nitrites or nitrates. 0.25ppm of ammonia.

So a few more goodies arrived.
Aqueon Pro heater 200W ($25 Amazon)
Seachem Matrix 1 liter ($12 Amazon)
Fluval Biomax 500g/17.63oz ($8 Amazon)
HDE 2 pack LCD digital fish tank aquarium thermometer ($9 Amazon)
Aqueon 06171 Algae Cleaning Magnet medium ($8 Amazon)
Marina Floating Thermometer ($2 Amazon)
Tetra 77840 Whisper softnet nylon net 3 inches ($1 Amazon)
PENN PLAX Standard Airline Tubing Air Pump Accessories, 25-Feet ($3 Amazon)
Tetra 77851 Whisper Air Pump, 10-Gallon ($6 Amazon)
API GH and KH Test Kit ($8 Amazon)

I decided to use both Seachem Matrix and Fluval Biomax as bio media.

I organized the canister so water flows as follows:

From tank ---> Course sponge ---> Floss pad ---> Fluval Biomax ---> Floss pad ---> Sechem Matrix ---> Floss pad ---> To tank.

Please let me know if my filter set up is horribly wrong.

And finally, how do you say??? A man with a watch knows the time. A man with two watches is never sure?

Yay….all 4 are showing all different temps =)

Running Total: $358
Remaining Budget: $142

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Don't sweat the temp differences, it's not a big deal that there is that much variation between different thermometers .

With your "ghost feeding" version of cycling, yep, it's slow There's only 0.25ppm of ammonia to grow the bacteria that converts it to nitrite & then nitrite to nitrate.So you'll only be able to very slowly stock you tank. If you use pure ammonia to even 2ppm you grow 8 times the beneficial bacteria as your method. Not any faster & slower amounts.

The truly fastest way is to use a product like Dr. Tim's 1 & Only or Tetra Safe Start (not Tetra Safe...that's a dechlor I think, NOT what you want). I have not used them. Then, if you use 1 of these, you MUST either add fish or feed the bacteria enough to keep them active .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store