46 bow -> 65 tall upgrade thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
The 46 bow in my sig is being replaced w/ a 65 tall. Got it during a pre xmas sale w/ stand at Petsmart, fish have been hanging in the basement in old tanks.

Pool filter sand over flourite - how's this for hardscape? Too much wood?flu.JPG flu_tnk.JPG hardscape.JPG lava_holey.JPG wood.JPG

Reactions: Strongarm

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
Yeah - it's TX holey rock, probably better suited to an African Cichlid tank, which I may do eventually... I also have jungle vals, tall Crypts and other stuff that gets tall to break up the rock.

Viewed from the right (where the couch is), the wood will also obscure the rock a little. From dead on, I think the focal point will be the void in the rock section filled by background wood, about 1/3 from the bottom and 1/3 from the left.

I'm thinking a few plants of assorted heights on the left, back right to be packed w/ tall plants, then I'll add some HC or HM or dwarf sag or whatever I can get my hands on locally. I've also got another sack of sand coming, so I can do a bit more of a slope from back corners to front/center.

The lava pictured on the driveway is actually stacked under the holey rock. It's there to do a little advanced denitrification (anaerobic nitrate->N2, O2) as well as to prop up the other rocks.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Of course plants (+ algae & tank crud) will help soften the whiteness, I'm sorry I sounded so harsh, I do like the wood & rock layout. A nice balance. Can you prop the wood a little higher, maybe push the right end deeper? It seems a bit all on the same level across the tank if that makes sense, yeah, nitpicking, lol. I can do it to other people's tanks sometimes but not my own.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
After doing a nice hardscape and filling the tank, some of the driftwood decided to float, so not much in the way of photos until I can remove the extra anchor rocks.

That said, the pair of angels and 5 scissor tailed rasbora have been transferred along w/ plants.

A couple of days ago, I added a pair of crypt parva, 4 baby panda cories, 2 baby SAEs and 6 good sized rosy barbs. Pics in a couple of weeks...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Very nice! I can barely see what were white rocks 3 years ago. Reminds me of my "river-ish" tank, jungle val, crypts & moss. What is that big leaved stem plant?

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
Thanks! I often have the same thoughts about the "hardscape" -
I wish I knew what that plant was. It's something my son-in-law gave me a cutting of. It's pretty fast growing and gets reddish if closer to the lights.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store