catfish stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Valencia cataldo

AC Members
May 27, 2017
Hi.any help and advice is greatly appreciated. I have an empty 30 gallon that I've been cycling...for about 2 weeks. With plants but not fish. I have catfish from a smaller tank that i want to put into my 30 gallon...and make it just an all catfish tank. I currently have 3 dwarf..2 otos...3 pepper corys...2 juli corys..and 2 emerald corys. Is that too many for a 30 gallon? It's a tall tank btw. Thanks. Also..should i add any more? As I've heard they like to be schooled? And how many should i add at a time? I heard 3 or 4 at a time is best.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I like to keep corys & otos in species groups of 6 as a minimum, but more is more fun! The problem with a tall tank for us bottom feeder fish lovers is lack of floor space. It's not that all corys won't get along...other than temp preferences, they should be fine together. It's that they are shoaling/schooling fish & can tell their own species from others.

In smaller groups you won't get to see the fun behaviors & possible breeding activity. I strongly suggest you pick 1 or 2 species & up their numbers. Which dwarf corys do you have? Pygmaeus are more mid water fish most of the time, so you could have a group of those too.

Otos are social too, but not really only bottom feeders. They are hard to tell the species apart...but they can tell!

I understand the collector thing, we want them all!!

What are the dimensions of your 30g?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
A 30 (or 29gal tall) will only fit about 5-6 Corys. There is just not enough floor space.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would split them, but still try to keep about 5-6 in each tank. They like to be in groups.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Looks OK to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store