Can garlic cure Ick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
I am dealing with my first care of Ick in my 120 gallon aquarium. I have put salt in and increased the temp. I also saw garlic can cure Ick. Is this true? I have [laced some in my tank and don't see that much improvement. I'm truly frustrated.
Any other suggestion would be appreciated.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I have never heard of garlic for ich and I would suggested removing it from your tank as it can foul the water.

How long have you been treating? What temp did you raise it to? How much salt did you use?

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
I have never heard of garlic for ich and I would suggested removing it from your tank as it can foul the water.

How long have you been treating? What temp did you raise it to? How much salt did you use?
Temp was up to 82. Salt was 1 Tbls per 10gallons

Temp fluctuates between 81-82 degrees. I put 1 Tbls of salt/10 gallons. If you look on you tube, there are several videos about using garlic to treat Ich.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I don't trust youtube videos for scientific information unless I can find something in the literature to back it up. The salt and heat method is scientifically validated based on the life history of the parasite. You asked if it was true in your initial post, I was stating I had never heard of it being true. So, I'm not sure why you're directing me to youtube. . .

A tbls per every 5 gallons is the preferred concentration for ich. But again, how long have you been treating? It takes two weeks at minimum to kill off the parasites you can see and a further week or two to kill off the unhatched eggs.

Reactions: Claire Vaughan

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
I don't trust youtube videos for scientific information unless I can find something in the literature to back it up. The salt and heat method is scientifically validated based on the life history of the parasite. You asked if it was true in your initial post, I was stating I had never heard of it being true. So, I'm not sure why you're directing me to youtube. . .

A tbls per every 5 gallons is the preferred concentration for ich. But again, how long have you been treating? It takes two weeks at minimum to kill off the parasites you can see and a further week or two to kill off the unhatched eggs.

Thank you. I'm using the salt and increased method and my fish look much better today. I didn't intend to "direct you." I just wanted you to know where I heard that. I apologize if you were offended by that.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I've always used salt and heat. I prefer that method to the heavily carcinogenic malachite green, which can sometimes be more harmful to your fish than the parasite itself.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There is one study (http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...3)065<0021:EOSPAG>2.0.CO;2?journalCode=unaj20) that states garlic extract, Allium sativum, will kill ich. Efficacy is based on dose, though, and just putting garlic from your kitchen in is not going to work. 62.5 mg/L of the extract is needed to be lethal, and must be maintained until all the parasites have reached the theront stage, since this is only effective at that stage in the lifecycle.

Treating with salt and heat is well documented, and effective. Treating with garlic is more of a challenge (obtaining garlic extract, dosing appropriately, determining how frequently to re-dose in order to maintain a therapeutic level). Whatever youtube show you watched that advised just dumping in some garlic bulbs should not really be considered a valid source of information. I am not a fan of risking a tank based on a) advice from just one resource and b) vague advice that doesn't have an explanation I can understand and makes sense.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Thanks for the link OG! I do like that in the second line of the abstract it states that malachite green has been banned from fish farms for being a carcinogen. I now have a source to back me up when I tell people this.

Reactions: OrionGirl

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It's nasty stuff. It can still be used for decorative fish since they're not going to be eaten, which is usually the driving factor in limiting exposure. That holds true for MOST animal medications--flea and tick treatments are a good example. Someone asked why it's ok for their dog and not them--because studies show that it causes cancer after about 10 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store