Black Moor Goldfish Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OneTiz

AC Members
Jun 23, 2017
Hello! I am new to taking care of fish, and I bought a Black Moor at PetCo. He is in a 1.77 gallon tank, and he is about 2 inches wide. He was swimming perfectly fine at the PetCo tank, with 4 more goldfish in his tank. The tank at PetCo is about the size of mine. The problem is, my Black Moor keeps sinking to the bottom of the tank, and doesn't move for a few minutes. After a few minutes he will swim for a few seconds and then stop. Is there a problem with him or is it a bigger tank I need? Please help, I'm willing to take any suggestions!

Thank you so much!

IMG_1729.JPG

OneTiz

AC Members
Jun 23, 2017
Also, the filter type of thing that came with this tank squirts out bubbles, but it seems to be WAY too much force for the Black Moor. My Black Moor is swimming a little bit more now, and he's trying to explore, but this filter type of thing keeps blowing him in circles every once in a while. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Even though they look fine at the store, quite often they are stressed and sick beyond repair. Some recuperate quickly some don't. The problem you have now is this tank is much to small for a fancy goldfish's healthy existence. General (old school) rule of thumb is 20g per fancy goldfish with 10 gallons added for each additional fancy. I have two fancies and a comet in a 55g and one of my oranda fancies is almost fist sized.

Reactions: OneTiz

OneTiz

AC Members
Jun 23, 2017
Even though they look fine at the store, quite often they are stressed and sick beyond repair. Some recuperate quickly some don't. The problem you have now is this tank is much to small for a fancy goldfish's healthy existence. General (old school) rule of thumb is 20g per fancy goldfish with 10 gallons added for each additional fancy. I have two fancies and a comet in a 55g and one of my oranda fancies is almost fist sized.
Ok, thank you very much! I will try and get a new tank as soon as my budget allows!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Ok, thank you very much! I will try and get a new tank as soon as my budget allows!
Until then, I would recommend daily 90% water changes.

In addition to what was mentioned before, the tanks at petco, while they look small, are actually just sectioned off. Each block of about 3 tanks is are connected and the tanks all in that column are connected to a large sump. So, even though it looks like the fish is in about a 2-5 gallon tank, its really about 250 gallons that the fish is sharing with other fish.

OneTiz

AC Members
Jun 23, 2017
Until then, I would recommend daily 90% water changes.

In addition to what was mentioned before, the tanks at petco, while they look small, are actually just sectioned off. Each block of about 3 tanks is are connected and the tanks all in that column are connected to a large sump. So, even though it looks like the fish is in about a 2-5 gallon tank, its really about 250 gallons that the fish is sharing with other fish.
Ok thx!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store