20 gallon long tank high ph problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

soccerjwiss

AC Members
Apr 22, 2017
I recently set up a new 20 gallon long tank about three days ago. I have an aquaclear 30 and a trutemp 26 gallong heater on it. I used 2" play sand substrate and two pieces of driftwood. I just began to start cycling my tank with fish food. My normal house water ph is around 7. My tank reached around 8.2 in two days. I am confused about this because my friend used the same sand for his aquarium and didn't have any issues with ph. The driftwood also came from My friend and he has previously used it in his aquariums without any ph problems. I'm not sure whats wrong and would really appreciate some help.(I am a little new at this still)

SirMuffin

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
Are you using a liquid test kit for pH? I've had some trouble in the past with the quick strip kinds giving some weird and inconsistent readings.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Are you testing your tap water straight from the tap, or after it's sat out overnight? If the former, try testing after it's sat out overnight and use that for a 'true' baseline. Most often, tap water will have dossolved CO2 in it lowers the pH. Once it gases off, the pH jumps.

Reactions: myswtsins

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
What she said. :) My pH right out of the tap is about 7.4 after gassing out it is a rock solid 8.2 which most captive bred neutral or higher pH fish adjust to without issue.

soccerjwiss

AC Members
Apr 22, 2017
Well I have tested it straight out so I will have to let it sit for a night. I was shooting for around 7 for a Kuhli loaches.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Kuhli loaches will adapt and be fine. It might impact breeding success, but the fish themselves won't mind it higher. Fish care about stability rather than a specific value--unless you're looking to breed, where pH can negatively impact the eggs and milt.

soccerjwiss

AC Members
Apr 22, 2017
Kuhli loaches will adapt and be fine. It might impact breeding success, but the fish themselves won't mind it higher. Fish care about stability rather than a specific value--unless you're looking to breed, where pH can negatively impact the eggs and milt.
So the ph of 8.2 will be fine with the loaches ?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yes. If you're getting them locally, it's highly probably that the LFS has water similar to yours. You can ask to confirm. If they are keeping them in a lower pH, you can gradually acclimate them to your conditions--add a small portion of your water to the bag every 5 minutes, until it's doubled, pour out half, repeat. , add the fish to the tank.

Reactions: Rob Bredin

soccerjwiss

AC Members
Apr 22, 2017
Yes. If you're getting them locally, it's highly probably that the LFS has water similar to yours. You can ask to confirm. If they are keeping them in a lower pH, you can gradually acclimate them to your conditions--add a small portion of your water to the bag every 5 minutes, until it's doubled, pour out half, repeat. , add the fish to the tank.
Ok thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store