Need help operating this protein skimmer.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Master Hale

Registered Member
Apr 10, 2014
I recently received this 46 gallon tank from a couple who was moving and it came with this old TRUVU HOB wet dry filter with a protein skimmer. They did not have the skimmer set up and have no idea how to use it. And it turns out that I don't either. I have never used or set up a protein skimmer before and I was hoping somebody could give me some advice on how to operate this thing. I know it involves hooking up an air pump somehow. I attached some pictures of the filter. Any help would be appreciated.

139919100_4678.jpg 139919100_4680.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Yes, you will need an Airpump and an airstone. You want to have the airstone "in" the base of the tube, so that it sends lots of very fine bubbles up the tube. The "fine" bubbles will create a foam that will overlow into the top cup. The top cup will collect the "skimmed" gunk.

Brandon Tracey

Registered Member
Jul 1, 2017
Yea, I also set up an air pump in my 55 gallon but that was not as my expectation and then I used the protein skimmer. It works brilliantly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store