DIY canister filter questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Again, I'll suggest looking at DC pumps.

they will allow you to alter the voltage to the pump, the net effect is that the GPH of the pump is variable.

for budget's sake look at jebaeo as an example

Reactions: Ralizem

PVC filter

AC Members
Jun 20, 2017
I also do not have the ability to post links. I built 6"PVC canister filter with an external inline pump.I used Sicce pumps. I have 2 filters running for about 2. Months. Best DIY for my tanks. 6" PVC is more difficult to work with but holds about 30 % more media than an expensive Eheim pro 3 and does a much better job.
I also fabricated the supply and return line out of PVC. LOL There is an art to installing so you get no vibration from the pump. Most of the noise that is transmitted was not from the pump but rather from the cabinet that the tank sits on. They act like boom boxes so I suspended the pump and made sure there was no contact between pipes or hard surfaces.

PVC filter

AC Members
Jun 20, 2017
I also wanted to discuss the rate of turn over or GPH. When looking on line I found hobbies saying you need to have anywhere between three and ten times. I went for 9-10 and figure with head height and running through filter and pipes that it would decrease flow. Another here said if its to fast it will not work. I would like to ask why and get a reference if possible. Thx and Happy 4th of July a day early

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Do you need a HOB configuration? If you have space under the tank I think a bucket canister would be more aesthetically pleasing.

At any rate, I think you will need considerably more than a 185 GPH pump by the time you get through the media. DC is the latest and greatest for aquaria and is a great choice if you're not pinching pennies. An advertised flow rate of 250-300 GPH would probably be more realistic by the time you add it to a system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store