65 Gallon FOWLR Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Peedib89

AC Members
May 31, 2008
Im about to start up a 65 Gallon FOWLR tank. I will be cycling with live rock, I have the Aqueon modular LED light. Not planning on doing coral right away but maybe eventually down the road. So far the only fish I've decided on are a Fairy Wrasse (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+376&pcatid=376), a clownfish( possibly a pair), some sort of blenny, some CUC and a pair of Pajama Cardinal fish. My cousin is pretty expierenced and will be helping me out until the get the hang of things on my own. Any suggestions of stocking or changes that you guys would make?

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Pair of ocellaris clowns? I have a pair in my BioCube, and they're pretty entertaining. Currently they are the only fish, added before I discovered I had a potentially problematic hitchhiker (posted in another thread).

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Only one type of clownfish, but in a 65 I'd go with 4-5 instead. They're pretty cool in a large group, if the tank with support it. Otherwise, at least a pair--they are social fish.

Knowing what sorts of fish or behavior interest you would help. I tend to prefer small fish, and would go with red line cardinals instead of the pajamas (just a preference in shape and color in the adults).

Peedib89

AC Members
May 31, 2008
looking for for movement and color. The tank will be going in our spare room/ daughters play room. She likes watching the fish and as she gets older it will be a good educational tool

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Maybe a Royal Gramma and/or a Chalk Bass would look nice.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Movement and color...so, I'd aim for a school of 5-7 small, bright fish, like green chromis or your preferred clown fish (tank bred, they're hardier and cheaper, percula and ocellaris are best for size). Add in a couple of gobies or smaller blennies for something that will sit and hang out, be easy to spot, 4-5 cleaner shrimp, plus CUC. That will give you the ability to add corals--look into large polyp stonies, like hammers, since they come in a variety of colors, are sturdy, and wave in the current. Clowns will play in them as well, though not really hosting behavior.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
If it's going to be in a room where there's lots of activity and movement, and you go with small bennies and gobies, make sure the tank is covered. Gobies and bennies are known jumpers, as are firefish. (Discussed and seen frequently at work.)

Ocellaris and percula clowns stay smaller, and tend to be more peaceful with tank mates than other clown species. Beware of damselfish, tho. Most are sold as "assorted damsels", and some grow up to be large, ugly, and vicious. Green chromis are just as pretty, and much more peaceful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store