Freshwater build 40 gallon stock ideas and tips (newbie)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blubagoo

Registered Member
Jul 15, 2017
I have a 39 gal. tank that we recently inherited and was wondering if anyone had any tips for keeping the tank as clean as possible through plants and fish but also a fun and active tank if possible. Picture of the build down below. I was thinking some pro-ecosystem kind of fish with a few bright colors and maybe a couple bigger fish. Any ideas for compatible fish?

unnamed.jpg

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
This is your first tank? Congrats and welcome! Lots of question before answers. This is what the tank is going to look like or what it DID look like? You want live plants? What kind of lighting do you have? What are your water parameters (pH, KH, GH etc)? What do you mean by pro-ecosystem type fish?

blubagoo

Registered Member
Jul 15, 2017
Yes my first tank. This is the tank currently set up in my home. I have no idea about the lighting as this entire tank was given to me. I bought all the deco and filter and heater. Pre treated water with tetra right start and tap water treatment. I don't know the ph but will test tomo and find out, nor do I know the other readout you requested. What I was referring to were fish like the placostomus that help clean the tank.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Ok. Let's start with the basics then. 1st thing you need to do is cycle the tank. This refers to the nitrogen cycle. Check out this thread about it, Cycling. You can get this started now and we can figure out what your water is like and what fish and plants would well in it. I think you mean Tetra safe start? I don't trust such products but some people have luck with it. If you want to use it this is a good source of info on it that I just found, TSS email.

Do you have a test kit? You will need a test kit to know what your water is like and to monitor the cycle plus regular testing to ensure everything is ok. This kit will have the most important things for cycling. API Master Kit. It is a little cheaper at Kensfish but you need to spend $49 for free shipping and it is slower shipping. $49 isn't hard to spend though lol

And this kit will tell you your hardness (alkalinity and general hardness). GH/KH test Which will help determine what fish/plants will thrive in your water.

Live plants are certainly good for a tank! Clean....it makes the water "cleaner" by removing nitrogen and such that we can't see but affect the fish. But it is another organic material being adding to the tank and will drop dead leaves and such possibly not looking so clean to you. Don't know what your level of clean is. lol

Plants add another complicated concept as well. Fish alone can be overwhelming so adding plants can be overwhelming to some. There are plenty of easy plants out there though that we can start with. First we need to know your light setup. Is it a long fluorescent bulb? If so what wattage and does it have any sort of reflector behind it? How tall is the tank from the bottom of the light to substrate where you intend to have plants?

blubagoo

Registered Member
Jul 15, 2017
So the light bulbe is a 20 in wide flourescent with a reflector. i know a thing or two about growing and the plants could def be closer but should have enough lumens to support a plant or two max, i would think anyway.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Unless you really want to grow plants I would not recommend them. They are just another living thing that you must "raise" and understand-different lights, pruning, ect. Your tank is soooo colorful, I would just have some plastic plants--less care. With so much color, I would get some glowfish and or some livebearers (Plays).

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Well it can either grow plants or it can't, 1 plant or 100 plants is all the same. So it sounds like the bulb doesn't even span the whole length of the tank even? Best case is you could grow the lowest demanding plants like java fern and anubias with that light on that tank. (I am assuming distances cause you haven't provided them) I agree with Tanker, unless you REALLY want plants I would skip them. Focus on the best fish care first and then you can move to plants later. With proper tank maintenance you don't need plants at all.

Glowfish would be an excellent choice. Add a "black" light too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store