Fish are sick, help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
If the WCMMs still look stressed or worse tomorrow lower the temp a bit. Like fishorama said you will just want to extend how long you treat for. The ich is pretty mild so no need to overly stress your fish.

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
I am concerned about the rainbow death you had earlier before the ich. I'm not sure what that might have been, that's why I asked about the others. Sorry, I've had "bad luck" with praecox the 2 times I've had them, never again.

High temps can also allow other diseases to flourish so it's not just about getting rid of the ich as fast as possible. It's also about not letting secondary infections affect ich, med & temp challenged, weakened fish. Ich alone is very treatable if caught early as you did. Keep up your hard work. Good luck! Keep us posted!
Oh ok! Definitely don't want that, i'll lower the temp back to normal then. I already see the ich on their bodies decreasing in number, some fish that had a tiny bit like my gourami don't seem to have any specks any more! I guess staring at my fish intensely for hours really pays off huh? Let's me catch things like this quick haha.

I'm pretty sure that the rainbow that died was already a weak one to begin with. When i first got them the others adapted to their new tank very quickly while he was very inactive and reclusive, not really schooling with the others and just hanging out in the bottom corner of the tank unmoving. I thought he wasn't going to make it through the night but he eventually got better and started behaving like the others, but not quite the same, something was always off. The others right now, despite being the only ones with specks on them seem to be perfectly fine and i expect them to survive this. (i guess anything could happen though, fingers crossed)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Wait, don't go back to normal temps just yet. Lower it down to like 82, see how they react, if no improvement, lower to 80 etc. And how do they look this morning? Any better or worse then last night?

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Wait, don't go back to normal temps just yet. Lower it down to like 82, see how they react, if no improvement, lower to 80 etc. And how do they look this morning? Any better or worse then last night?
Ah ok that's perfect actually, it's sitting at 82 right now haha.
But earlier during feeding they all seemed to be doing alright, i think they're tolerating 82 degrees just fine for now, but there's one i'm really concerned about. The one with the large gash in her side that i posted above doesn't seem to be doing that well..she's barely moving, just hanging around one corner while the others are off being energetic and doing their own thing. The others still have some redness in areas and some are a really unusual dark color, like almost brownish black while their stripe is a dull red. It's hard to get that one's picture cause he's always moving compared to the other one. He seems to be acting normal though, just a little banged up? It might be the light playing tricks on me, who knows. i'll try to get a better picture.

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Yeah i just went back to check on them and the one with the large mark is just hanging at the top barely moving, and i forgot to mention that she also never came to eat when all the others were, that's been happening the past 2 days actually.
I also finally got a good enough shot of the other guy i was talking about. Of course his head didn't get in the shot but this was literally the best i could do haha. But you see his fins and body are really dark. He's acting normal as opposed to the other one, but it's still a bit concerning. Everyone else has a stray red mark but nothing note worthy.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
The coloring and such could just be stress, especially if he is acting normal. The female with the big gash though meh. At this point I'd say it's a toss up if you want to remove her to another hospital tank to avoid any further contamination where you can treat her seperately OR if leaving her in her own tank gives her the best chance of survival (no stress of being moved). It always a hard choice for me but if she never acted right and never ate with the others then I don't think keeping her in this tank is gonna do much good so might as well remove her to hopefully spare the others.

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
The coloring and such could just be stress, especially if he is acting normal. The female with the big gash though meh. At this point I'd say it's a toss up if you want to remove her to another hospital tank to avoid any further contamination where you can treat her seperately OR if leaving her in her own tank gives her the best chance of survival (no stress of being moved). It always a hard choice for me but if she never acted right and never ate with the others then I don't think keeping her in this tank is gonna do much good so might as well remove her to hopefully spare the others.
So i found out what was wrong with that fish, turns out it was dropsy. So i euthanized her to prevent any more suffering. I'm just very worried about my other minnows getting it too, i looked into it more and some places say others of the same species are susceptible to it too.
It sucks though, weeks without a single problem and then suddenly within the last 4 days literally everything is going wrong and i don't know what to do. I was supposed to be getting kuhli loaches for my birthday saturday but i don't even know if i should at this point...

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
How did you determine it was dropsy so quickly? You never mentioned any bloating and perhaps it is the angle of the picture but I don't see bloating or the pinecone effect.

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
How did you determine it was dropsy so quickly? You never mentioned any bloating and perhaps it is the angle of the picture but I don't see bloating or the pinecone effect.
Yeah in those pics it wasn't apparent, it must have just happened yesterday or i didn't notice because she was off in a dark corner of the tank right at the surface, but i pulled her in closer and noticed the protruding scales from above and knew right away what it was. After looking into it a little more it also explains why she wasn't moving much and not eating with the others.
Good news though, i don't see anymore ich on anyone. I'm still going to treat the tank for a few days just to be safe, but at least i have some ray of hope here.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What is that fish on the right? I can't tell. A fat female WCMM?

Definitely continue ich treatment for another 7-10 days. There are 3 stages to ich; basically on the fish then they fall off into the substrate (that's why you need to vac) then into the water column to reinfect fish. Keep it up!

I'm sorry your fish had dropsy but euthanasia was the right choice IMO. It's more of a symptom, often of kidney failure, than a specific disease. Keep a close eye on other fish.

You really want to wait to get more fish until you're sure all the issues are over. I wait 4 weeks after all deaths & disease. Take a birthday raincheck on kuhlis. Maybe have some gummy worms on your cake instead, lol, until you get the real ones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store