Finally Ready to Stock!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
No offense.. But this is one of the reasons why it is so frustrating for beginners.

Half of the people say that labs/dems are a proven combination and would be fine and others say that the dems will wipe out the labs.. How do I know what works for sure.
Always err on the side of caution. My rule is if at least two people tell me it will be disastrous, then I would rather not risk the life/well being of the fish.

Another rule is that anything in the Pseudotropheus is going to be a mean fish. It will rule the tank. This is something I have been told by nearly every mbuna keeper I've met (that includes researchers and hobby keepers).

More peaceful mbuna are the Labidochromis and Labeotropheus genera.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
In the end though, the only hard and fast rule is don't mix mbuna with Haps/Peacocks. Basically, try what you think might work, but over stock the tank. The hardest part with Africans, particularly mbuna, is keep aggression down. Overstocking is the key to that.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Everyone has different experiences, some people have no experience and just google things and repeat them but it makes up a lot of different theories. What works for one may not work for another. There are certain things that are 50/50 and others that are 95/5 but there is almost always the "other" side of everything. In all honestly I've seen very few "successful" mbuna tanks, period (but they are amazing!). Most people do not keep them more than a yr past maturity and that year is spent constantly trying to fix aggression issue. That is why I am concerned about your already rocky start.

Safest bet is a demasoni only tank with 20+ dems OR a lab and acei mix. And I thought the GF loved the acei, how did you end up back to no acei? lol

easterner2012

AC Members
Jul 14, 2017
For me, mbuna/cichlids are the only way to go unless I had decided on going salt water. I like the color that other tanks just can't provide. Also, I'm also up for a challenge :)

As you know, the two Acei's died so now I am left with three labs and one demasoni. The only option imo is to stick with what I have or go back to the lab/demasoni/acei mix..

easterner2012

AC Members
Jul 14, 2017
That Dem to Lab ratio will not work. The Dems will just wipe out the Labs. . . Demasoni are "king of the tank fish" its better to either have all that species or just a single. Especially, just a single when you're going with the more peaceful side of Labidochromis. I wouldn't even do a pair of Dems, when they start spawning, you'll likely lose a few labs each time. . .
Would you go with a 10 lab, 5 acei and 1 demasoni mix or something else?

Keeping in mind I have 3 labs, 1 demasoni now.. Just wondering what the best way forward would be in terms of stocking.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Honestly, it can't hurt to try it. Just make sure you have as many rocks and hiding places as you can possibly have. I would almost suggest going to 15 labs in that mix. With mbuna, take what you think you should stock and add 5-10 more.

I know haps are more aggressive, but for my Dimidiochromis compressiceps to not kill each other I had to have 22 of them (they're 6-8 inches long) in a 40 gallon tank. . . when I tried to stock them appropriately (7 in a 90 gallon) they slowly killed each other off. . .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store