A new fish forum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr. Bones

AC Members
May 25, 2017
In The Deep Blue Sea
Real Name
Boney
Do you think that someone building a new aquarium hobbyist discussion forum today stand any chance of it becoming popular given the situation with social media seemingly taking over that niche. ?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
it depends on how specialized the forum will be, and what niche it is supposed to take.

I'm a member of a couple of aquatic plant forums, both seem to do pretty well.. there are numerous others that are doing well too.

social media is good at quickly answering questions,

forums are good to store good information as a reference material.

there's some cross over, but there is more to is than just that... you need to be somewhere welcoming to the participants, think about amount of advertising, quality of information, that sort of thing.

There have been an awful lot of incredible people who were members of AC< for example, and now are not... ask yourself why that is.

if you have the answer, and a way to make your forum appealing to that sort of people, then you may have it made!

Mr. Bones

AC Members
May 25, 2017
In The Deep Blue Sea
Real Name
Boney
Thank you so much for your reply, you have given me a lot to consider. Im not interested in monetizing a site, just providing a welcoming place for people to enjoy sharing their hobby, and as for myself i enjoy working with the software and building the site.

But that whole endeavor is not free usually and it is also time consuming, so to do all that just to have no one show up would suck :)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If it gets big enough, the expenditure to provide the server and bandwidth would likely be significant.

There are free servers out there, but no idea how seriously they are taken; I personally would assume one would have a short shelf life, and not really bother contributing.

Mr. Bones

AC Members
May 25, 2017
In The Deep Blue Sea
Real Name
Boney
Well, i have decided to take the plunge. The site will be as much unlike any other site, as far as annoying ads, abusive staff etc. as i can make it. Nothing ventured nothing gained i always say. Thank for your input.

Hendre

AC Members
Sep 7, 2016
Good luck. Local forums are a bomb where I live, better interaction and a lot more market activities between locals

dalto

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
Starting a new forum takes commitment from a dedicated group of people to promote it and quickly to respond to posts in the early days of it's existence.

I think, with the decline in forum popularity this might be difficult to achieve but the investment to give it a shot is mostly time and effort so if you have a group of people with the time I would say go for it.

Servatude

AC Members
Aug 21, 2017
Do you think that someone building a new aquarium hobbyist discussion forum today stand any chance of it becoming popular given the situation with social media seemingly taking over that niche. ?
Creating a forum is easy, but execution is all that matters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store