Beginner Cichlid Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lawrence Toush

AC Members
Jul 22, 2017
I'd like to put these cichlids in 1 tank (29 gal)::
Electric Yellow Labidochromis
Red Zebra
Scolofi
Good idea or not.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Not. To be able to safely start mixing Mbuna species you want to get into a 4ft tank minimum. With a 3ft tank you could get a single species tank but at 30" the success rates are about nil. There are a few rare exceptions but those are best left to those with previous Mbuna experience/success.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Well they are a Mbuna so they are quite aggressive but compared to other Mbuna they are among the least aggressive. That still puts them too high in the aggression scale to be in a 30" tank, even by themselves. At 36" it is still challenging but possible.

Sorry to be such a downer but we want you to have realistic goals or else your tank fails, fish die and you don't enjoy the hobby. This happens with Mbuna A LOT too because they draw a lot of attention with their amazing colors and fascinating breeding methods (and ease) but most people getting into the hobby can't afford "big" tanks and unfortunately IF they even ask for advice they don't heed warnings cause they see so many other people that "do it". But those other people very rarely show you the end result after a year or 2 when they get rid of any possibly surviving fish and move to something else because all in all the setup was a long struggle that ends a failure. And I don't want that for anyone or any fish.

Can you get a bigger tank?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Don't give up on a cichlid tank, just dont use this size tank for mbuna. There are plenty of other species. For example the shell dwelling species from Lake Tanganyika will be fine in that size tank. I have pairs kept in 15 gallon tanks right now and have no problem whatsoever, if I wanted to increase to a harem I'd move up to a 29 gallon and be fine. They're just as interactive as mbuna, and almost as aggressive, but because they are smaller, they are fine in smaller tanks. Jewel cichlids are African riverine and would be fine in that size tank, so would brichardi (also from Tanganyika). You could also do any of the dwarf cichlids from South America that are very colourful as well.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, pair rams or a trio (1m, 2 f) of those or apistogramma (several species). Or a pair of kribensis. All with the possibility of a "target" species like cardinal tetras & lots of hiding & breeding areas...But...make a plan to either move fry when parents lose interest or have some (heavy?) loses. It's not all bad, a few fry will survive...& then what? You'll need a plan, they may breed every 4 weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store