What fish do you most regret not keeping anymore?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MyleusAlex1993

AC Members
Jul 23, 2017
Lake Worth Florida
Real Name
Alex Cardinale
Camera Used
LG Stylo 5
Wild caught Peruvian Scalare angelfish or Long Nosed Angelfish and clown loaches and geophagus
But no worries, I will be getting them soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I had all the equipment for this 20 long, but was still to broke after getting my own place to spend enough money to stock it the way I wanted to from a store. So, I found out then it was true that with a fishing liscense you were permitted to collect natives and keep them. So I set out to do a mostly collected tank because that was the cheaper and faster route to get into having a tank set up again. I got them as roughly 3 week old fry out of a ditch that almost carried water year round. Well I tried collecting some two weeks before and the week before but those weren't vigorous enough swimmers to survive the gambusia I also had some of.

Interestingly enough the shot of that tank with mostly collected plants after things got growing well gets the most comment over all the previous tanks I've done.
Water garden by Frederick Miles, on Flickr
Unfortunately the creek chub were rather rough on things and the tank even now has issues that I haven't gotten in hand. This shot is from three years ago, when they were middle age, down to just the two. There are also some natural color "rosy reds" in there, those 4 in there are the smart ones out of four batches of four a week apart. They were all eventually eaten, though one survived for about 2 years.
IMG_1220 by Frederick Miles, on Flickr
That IS a very nice tank! Cool story, thanks for sharing!

Wild caught Peruvian Scalare angelfish or Long Nosed Angelfish and clown loaches and geophagus
But no worries, I will be getting them soon!
Very nice!

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
Chocolate Gouramis, also mentioned by SnakeIce.
They are incredibly beautiful and peaceful dwarf Gouramis.
I kept them in mostly RO water but PH and tds were still too high for these graceful, difficult fish.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I kept them in mostly RO water but PH and tds were still too high for these graceful, difficult to keep alive fish.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I kept them in mostly RO water but PH and tds were still too high for these graceful, difficult fish.
They are challenging, sorry it didn't work out. How long ago was that? Any plans to try again?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I'm a little late to the party, but I have a few that I miss a lot.

The first is the fish that made me fall in love with the hobby. My P. senegalus that I called Jormungandr. He was the only named fish I ever had. I unfortunately, broke up my boyfriend at the time, quit my job, quit university and moved back home with my parents to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. I had just him and some Botia kubotai at the time and my mom kept saying he looked lonely and was trying to put more fish in my tank. After winning the argument that he would eat any small fish she put in there, she threatened to add a couple of oscars to the tank. The tank was only a 33 gallon and she refused to believe me that they would be far too big, because "Grandma used to keep them and she never even did water changes!" I decided it was best to rehome him and the loaches and get my mom some neons and some male guppies and all sorts of colourful annoying things. He was 8 inches when I took him to the shop and I miss him terribly a lot of the time. They didn't give me any store credit. . . and sold him for $95 and the loaches for $20 each. . .
Jormun.jpg

When I went back to university a few years later I sold the 33 gallon tank, custom stand and my 29 gallon as well and bought a 35 gallon (squarish odd dimensions) tank and stand from a friend. I miss that tank a lot, but mostly I miss my L10 lizard cats. They were super cute, interactive and unique looking. Plus I miss the nerite snails. But I had to give up the tank to move to Scotland. I gave it all to a friend and I think last I saw on Snapchat, his wife had rescaped it to get rid of all my plants and driftwood and set it up with fake neon plants and glofish for her toddler :( It was just starting to fill in when I gave it to them as well. . .
35 gallon.jpg Anubias flower.jpg L10 zebra nerite.jpg

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Yeah, that getting rid of a grown in planted tank to do things in neon only adds to it. Been there had that done with a tank I used to have.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I'm a little late to the party, but I have a few that I miss a lot.

The first is the fish that made me fall in love with the hobby. My P. senegalus that I called Jormungandr. He was the only named fish I ever had. I unfortunately, broke up my boyfriend at the time, quit my job, quit university and moved back home with my parents to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. I had just him and some Botia kubotai at the time and my mom kept saying he looked lonely and was trying to put more fish in my tank. After winning the argument that he would eat any small fish she put in there, she threatened to add a couple of oscars to the tank. The tank was only a 33 gallon and she refused to believe me that they would be far too big, because "Grandma used to keep them and she never even did water changes!" I decided it was best to rehome him and the loaches and get my mom some neons and some male guppies and all sorts of colourful annoying things. He was 8 inches when I took him to the shop and I miss him terribly a lot of the time. They didn't give me any store credit. . . and sold him for $95 and the loaches for $20 each. . .
View attachment 222006

When I went back to university a few years later I sold the 33 gallon tank, custom stand and my 29 gallon as well and bought a 35 gallon (squarish odd dimensions) tank and stand from a friend. I miss that tank a lot, but mostly I miss my L10 lizard cats. They were super cute, interactive and unique looking. Plus I miss the nerite snails. But I had to give up the tank to move to Scotland. I gave it all to a friend and I think last I saw on Snapchat, his wife had rescaped it to get rid of all my plants and driftwood and set it up with fake neon plants and glofish for her toddler :( It was just starting to fill in when I gave it to them as well. . .
View attachment 222007 View attachment 222008 View attachment 222009
I'm a little late in replying lol. I read this and wanted a big reply but didn't have time and forgot to come back to it.

I love Polys! One of the first fish I loved as well but have never owned one yet. Sorry you had to get rid of him like that. Think you'll ever get another? Typical, no credit and they turn around and sell it for a butt load! I guess at least they took them though, my LFSs won't take any fish or plants. Good thing there are clubs...that I don't go to. lol

Lizard cats are awesome too! I love all cats/bottom dwellers and oddballs though. :) Ugh the deco change, heart breaking. But to each their own, she did it for the kid so eh.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store