plants for my aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jk091293

Registered Member
Jul 29, 2017
hello i am new to planted tanks i have saltwater reef tanks and i would love to accompany my fish room with a planted tank it would look cool....... i already have a 55 gallon running and cycled with fish in it... my question is this any good cheap plants i can but at home depot that would look like grass like ... and maybe some good plants that would look cool. and would maybe some ... and i like the color 4100k ligths give my tank qould does sustain the plants .. thanks

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome! Perhaps Home Depot sells aquatic plants in some areas. Pretty sure mine do not. They do however sell plants that can have their roots be terrestrial or aquatic, where the plant stays out of the water. Pothos or spider plant to name a few. I've got pothos growing out of two of my tanks.

jk091293

Registered Member
Jul 29, 2017
maybe some bottom grass they sell at petsmart that will work and some plants that i can just mount on my wood and grow there ???

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've been to several HD, they don't sell aquatic plants. You want easy plants like java ferns & anubias, none of the "grassy " plants are likely to grow well for you.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Some HDs will sell water lilies and marginal plants for use in a pond.

But I haven't seen anything that would be useful in a regular aquarium.

As for what would work, knowing what tank you have and lighting information other than the 'temperature' would be useful. I'd stick my neck out and say you'll be at very low light, so will be limited in choice to something 'low tech', a carpet might not be too easy, but I'd go with something like crypts, maybe some sort of moss if you don't mind trying to keep it contained.

Other epiphitic plants might be an idea too.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I did not know HD sold "aquarium plants". Maybe pond plants, but not true aquarium plants.

Wizardy

Registered Member
Sep 15, 2017
Hi , May be I know the best aquarium for you tank is the Roleadro LED aquarium , and it is not expensive and does have high quality.
So far they are working out very well I bought two years before. and Although my fishes died ,but it can help them live long.
I wanna give my tank photo , but i am new user , I don't have the entitlement. I am sorry.
BTW , can u tell me where you live , cos I am from Germany and I got them fro Germany Amazon. I don't know the American Amazon have this guy.

Reactions: Toplanet
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store