Is this right?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sregor

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2017
Philippines
So I got a 2 inch tiger oscar today and I decided to put him in my 5 gallon tank so he can settle down [I'm setting him there for 3 days only] Because in my large tank [80gallon] I have another oscar who's 8 months old but still 4-5 inches [albino red] and 4 angelfish that are 4 inch tall [7 months old] I put the new tiger oscar in the big tank and he gets bullied by the angelfish and the larger oscar just keeps following him and waiting for a chance for ambush.

Is this right?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Sounds about normal. FWIW I would have quarantined in your smaller tank for at least two weeks to make sure that he is healthy. The angel fish have likely paired up and don't take kindly to strangers in their territory. The larger oscar likely sees a snack.

Sregor

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2017
Philippines
Sounds about normal. FWIW I would have quarantined in your smaller tank for at least two weeks to make sure that he is healthy. The angel fish have likely paired up and don't take kindly to strangers in their territory. The larger oscar likely sees a snack.
How does the larger oscar see it as a snack when it can't fit inside its mouth and the new tiger oscar is about 75% of its size? xd

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think Tiff was referring to the angels as snacks...but maybe also the smaller Oscar.

You need to make some hard choices on which fish you want to keep long term. In a 80g you can have 1 Oscar OR angels...until they pair up...& that's the facts AFAIK.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
A predator will see anything smaller than itself as a snack. Just the way the fish world works. In the long run the tank size you have won't be sufficient for two Oscars though. So I agree with the above that some choices are going to have to be made on what to keep.

Sregor

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2017
Philippines
I looked up the minimum tank size for 2 oscars and I found that it's 75g and I have 80g so yeah no problem about the tank size and I'm currently talking with my friend cuz I'm giving my 4 angelfishes to him and see if he agrees...

UPDATE:
So now my 2 inch tiger oscar [Billy] has been moved out of the tiny tank and just moved him in the large tank. The angelfish doesn't care about him anymore and just moves away from him but the larger oscar [Clyde] is still following him and keeps sticking her mouth on Billy's body. [Been watching these two for 30 minutes and nothing much changed].

And I distracted Clyde with some pellets and I noticed that Billy keeps facing upwards and hides behind the sponge filter like what he did on the tiny tank. Anyone can explain why Clyde is just following Billy and the latter is facing upwards and keeps hiding? Tysm in advance xd

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I would really suggest a 125 gal min for 2 Oscars. The bioload alone is too much for an 80 gallon.

The hiding is due to stress. The larger O is being territorial and the "following" is him either thinking the smaller may be food or that he wants him out of his territory. The facing upwards is looking for an escape route or something to hide behind. All signs of stress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store