Small wooden planter style pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Hello, I am currently designing some planters to go at the bottom of my deck in my backyard. I was thinking of having several planters maybe on a higher and a lower layer. and I thought of putting water in one and making a little summer pond to breed white clouds or mollies or something.

The planters themselves will have that membrane inside them to keep the dirt in the planter.
I was thinking of taking the same design but have studlike 4x4 posts every 2' to brace for bowing. some 45 degree corner pieces to smoothe out the corners for the pond liner, and construct them in much a similar way as the other planters to make a set.
essentially either a corner piece with a higher planter at the corner, two longer ones coming off on the sides
or two long pieces at the bottom of the deck, with a lower tier infront of it.

I did some googling and I found some home made ones that look pretty promising but they are all quite big. This would be something more like 4x2 footprint of 5x2. nothing huge.
It is a nice family project and I was wondering if anyone here had constructed something similar?
I have had ponds before and I know that the bottom should be level sand etc but this is more of a liner filled planter so any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I am still in the design phase right now so I can change anything

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You might want to go look at the available preformed pond options. There are several close to that size, and you could then put a decorative frame around it to match the planters, and worry less about leaking and sand and such. I use stock tanks for my summer tubs. They work well, are easier to clean than a built in, and you know they're safe for fish.

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Oh p,ease post pictures of your project! That sounds like a beautiful way to enjoy fish outside. How will you be able to see your fish? Will it be like a tiny Koi pond where you watch from above?

What about a aquaponic type? Maybe it could be wheeled in during the winter? This one is a purchased one.

Either way it would be a great project to share.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
During the winter I was planning to bring them in to one of my many aquariums or simply sell all the fry the fish produce in the summer months. our last winter here was -25 and below from just before christmas right until march.
Luckily for me I was in the Philippines for 3 weeks so I escaped it a little, but I don't think any fish is going to survive those conditions lol.

I hadn't looked into the preformed ponds actually. any recommendation of where to find them? I just assumed they might be a bit costly. that would for sure be a better option though.

I like the aquaponic video, I hadn`t thought of combining the planters in the pond but that might be interesting

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Depending on size, the preformed ones range from $50-150 at the local home repairs store (Home Depot/Lowe's in the states). Wood and sealant plus your time will run about the same.

I got my tubs filled yesterday and most of the plants in. Fish won't go out until June.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Sadly I have been too busy this summer working and vacation, and next week I will be back at college.
I did however finish the preliminary design for the planters on Sketchup along with a facsimile of my own yard for reference of size.

The planters will be built most likely next spring.
I actually work part time at home depot and here in Canada we have pond Liner and filter stuff but no preformed ponds themselves.

Just thought I would update this so people know its not Dead in the water. no pun intended.

It will be back!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Ah so is life. I'd love to see the Sketchup.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
4x4s every 2 feet are probably overkill. 2x4s every `18" (so 2 of them on the faces of a 4.5' wall) should do

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store