New Filter Reeking Havoc with Snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lulu

Gangsta Snail
Apr 24, 2008
NYC
www.hollerbackfilm.com
I have a 20 gallon tank with a community of snails that I've had for more than a decade now. I've had a small aquaclear filter for a long time, probably a 30, and it was totally shot, so I got a new one. I got an aquaclear 50. The snails seem to love the suction on this new filter and they glom onto it constantly. Initially I put a mesh cover on the filter suction tube, but the snails got caught worse in the mesh than in the filter, so I took the mesh off. Then two of them got injured and died. I was spending all day flicking them off, so I covered the filter with some porous lace fabric that I have at the house, hoping that would work. The lace allows the water to go through and initially seemed better for the snails, but now 2 of them have caught the lace under their shell, and either it's stuck, or they are refusing to let the fabric go.

1) How do I protect the snails from the filter with something that will not injure them?
2) How do I get the fabric away from the two that seem to have it stuck under their shell.

Thank you.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
can you use a sponge over the intake? it will slow down the flow, so suction won't be so great.

and will get full of infusoria and such.

lulu

Gangsta Snail
Apr 24, 2008
NYC
www.hollerbackfilm.com
I have a 20 gallon tank with a community of snails that I've had for more than a decade now. I've had a small aquaclear filter for a long time, probably a 30, and it was totally shot, so I got a new one. I got an aquaclear 50. The snails seem to love the suction on this new filter and they glom onto it constantly. Initially I put a mesh cover on the filter suction tube, but the snails got caught worse in the mesh than in the filter, so I took the mesh off. Then two of them got injured and died. I was spending all day flicking them off, so I covered the filter with some porous lace fabric that I have at the house, hoping that would work. The lace allows the water to go through and initially seemed better for the snails, but now 2 of them have caught the lace under their shell, and either it's stuck, or they are refusing to let the fabric go.

How do I protect the snails from the filter with something that will not injure them?
Thank you?
can you use a sponge over the intake? it will slow down the flow, so suction won't be so great.

and will get full of infusoria and such.
Sure. Do I just take a natural sponge and cut a hole in it for the tube? Or is there a sponge that is designed for this? Thank you.

Any idea how to get the lace away from the snails without injuring them?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
you can get sponges that are specially made (somewhat) where they are cylindrical with a hole in one end.

Unfortunately I don't have much time right now, but if you search somewhere like Amazon, specifically for something like 'pre-filter sponge' in the pet section, you should get some results, just make sure the filter is long and wide wnough to cover the holes on your intake.

and sorry, no way of knowing how to get the lace from snails.. I'm not a snail guy.. I would expect if it's not an issue, they'll leave it on their own eventually... just give them some food or something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store