Mbuma Pregnancies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Callard

AC Members
Sep 5, 2017
Port Elizabeth
Real Name
Callard
Camera Used
Samsung Tablet A
Hi all
I have a problem. A few weeks ago I saw that my Mbumas had eggs " mouth very swollen" I tried to get her out of the tank but was difficult as I didn't want her to stress too much.after a few days I found her dead. Guess she was harassed to much. A couple of days ago I saw a similar situation where two of my Mbumas were pregnant if I can put it that way. Today I saw her pretty bashed up "tail fin" bitten but managed to rescue her and put her into the hospital tank which I had fortunately prepared in advance. I still need to find the other one and extract her as well. Why is this? Is it because they can't or don't want to defend themselves because of the eggs/fry in her mouth? I need to know if somebody can give me some positive feedback in this regard.
Thanking you all

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Mbuna can be pretty nippy. But just mbuna is not enough detail. Could you answer some questions so that I can try to help you?

How big is your tank?
What species do you have and how many of each?
How many males and females of each?
Also, what are your water parameters?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I agree with Tiff, we need more info before we could try to help. And as I always ask, a picture of the tank/fish can be VERY helpful to get a better understanding of the situation. The term most commonly used is "holding" FYI.

We need a MOD to move this thread too.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Tank too small, too few females, the wrong and aggressive males are a real bad combination. We just want to know which of these "bad" combinations do you have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store