Bugs on my house plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
So, I'm no gardener, but I am trying to keep some herbs alive in my flat. I got some starts from a mint and sage plant that are being grown out at one of our community gardens and it seems they came with, what I think?, are aphids on my mint. I read on a couple of blogs that I could kill them with a mist of dish soap and water sprayed daily. But it doesn't seem to have helped and they've now spread across the room to my sage plant and maybe my rosemary. Though they seem to have left my lavender and Christmas cactus alone, so far. I've been doing the soap mist daily for two weeks and just noticed today (I've finally gotten a day to work from home) that they are much worse. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to kill them with that would be safe inside and safe to use for plants that are going to be used for food?

20170921_134320.jpg 20170921_134320.jpg 20170921_134329.jpg

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Soap mist won't kill them, IME--it just breaks down the waxy coating that protects them from liquid insecticides. For my non-aquatic house plants, I get an aphid spray, put the plant in the sink, pour soapy water over the WHOLE thing, including the substrate, then spray with the insecticide. Let it sit until dry, put it back in it's normal spot and repeat every 3-4 days until you don't see aphids anymore. You can use diatomaceous earth--spritz with water, then coat ethe whole plant with a light dusting. But I'm a fan of the scorched earth policy--I hate aphids.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I think I'll go with the napalm option. I don't want to be dealing with these guys, I want to make food with my sage darnit.

I'm not familiar with any of the brands in the UK, I found one called rosegarde, it says the active ingredient is myclobutanil and cypermethrin. Any idea if this would work? Or do you know of a US brand that is good and I can look up the active ingredient and see what I can find in the UK?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitax-Ltd-...F8&qid=1505999428&sr=1-7&keywords=aphid+spray

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Just looked at the link--you want to get something that says it's safe for food plants. I would be wary of anything targeted for roses alone, since very few people eat their decorative flowers an products for them might not be safe for consumption (at least here in the US).

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Good luck to you! Never had to deal with aphids in the house, outside I just let the ladybug larvae eat them lol.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Thanks!

Ya, I've never seen them inside either. I guess its the risk I took getting cuts from essentially wild plants. I seem to have a bit of a curse with house plants lol.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I am mega cursed with house plants. I just threw my last ones away a few weeks ago, I give up! (For now, I'll break down again in the future I am sure) I can grow plants outside just fine, bring them in and I kill them all lol.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I transplant ladybug and their larvae onto the pond plants. The aphids hit the water lilies hard, and I go through and sweep them off for the fish to eat as well. Hate them. Aphids and japanese beetles are the only insects that I actively try to remove.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store