I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY BETTA

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lydiaarduser

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2017
Hi my name is lydia and my baby betta marvin is sick! I've been googling and trying to figure out what is wrong with him!
Here is some background.
I got marvin as a baby boy betta about a month ago I got a baby girl beta at the same time and she has been doing great she's eating and growing but marvin isn't.
marvin is still really small and really since i got him he hasn't eaten as much as my other bettas and I have never really seen him swimming around like the others. Marvin does live in a tank alone as well as my other 2 bettas.
And just today when i went to feed him he was no where to be found. I has to move his house because he was under it! I was sure he was dead! but he wasn't when I put my net in there he started moving around. But the thing is he won't swim. He just sinks to the bottom every time i move him to get a better look at his body. And from what I have read i feel like he has sbd but that confuses me because he isn't bloated and i don't even know how he could because he barley eats. And then i started reading about clamped fin and marvins tail and fins are very small and haven't grown since i got him!
And if i treat him for clamped fin but he doesn't have it is that bad?
And if i treat him for sbd and he doesn't have it is that bad?
I've just started caring for bettas and in the past 6 months i haven't had to deal with anything like this!
I NEED HELP ASAP I DONT WANT MARVIN TO DIE!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I wouldn't treat for anything you can't feel confident he has wrong---medications are harsh, and while helpful for treating an ailment, shouldn't be used otherwise.

Is the tank heated? Where did you get the fish? Can you post a picture that shows the items of concern? Bettas can vary widely in personality, and you might just have a fish that is shy, or could be less robust if not from a private breeder. Most of the big box stores sell bettas that aren't very well bred.

lydiaarduser

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2017
I wouldn't treat for anything you can't feel confident he has wrong---medications are harsh, and while helpful for treating an ailment, shouldn't be used otherwise.

Is the tank heated? Where did you get the fish? Can you post a picture that shows the items of concern? Bettas can vary widely in personality, and you might just have a fish that is shy, or could be less robust if not from a private breeder. Most of the big box stores sell bettas that aren't very well bred.
Thank you so much for your help but i am sad to say i woke up this morning and marvin did not make it through the night...

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It happens. We have to keep in mind that in nature, fish reproduce in large numbers because very few will survive. Quality breeders cull very heavily to promote vigor as well as species traits, but many of the mass produced fish aren't culled at all, with the result that poor stock makes it to our homes. Fish that fail to thrive in clean water with good food is one side effect of mass production.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thank you so much for your help but i am sad to say i woke up this morning and marvin did not make it through the night...
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like there was nothing you could have done for him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store