Cloudy tank won't clear up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
It could be an injury. It may hurt to move her tail. The pineconing could be from slight swelling underneath. Do you have any sharp décor or nippy fish?

Keep an eye on it & do lots of water changes. If it gets bigger, redder or ulcerated looking consider an antibiotic. I'm thinking you don't have a quarantine tank...
I do have a big bosemani who i've seen go on brief rampages, this morning his whole front half of his body was black and he was chasing all the other fish into hiding except for the female. He almost imediately calmed down and went back to his normal colors after eating.

And i know i should have a bigger tank for bosemanis, but a friend had a male and a female he couldn't keep anymore so i decided to take them since i'm considering upgrading to a 75 gallon soon and getting more rainbows for it.

Also i do have a quarantine tank, but at the moment it has 40 baby guppies in it, also a result from the friend who gave me pregnant guppies with the bosemanis.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Maybe ask a moderator to start a new thread for this rainbow issue separate from the cloudy tank.

Do you have a plan for all those guppies? 40 is a lot! I have to admit to frequently turning my QT into, well, just another tank. But I have room & several tanks available. You may have to say no the next time a friend needs to rehome fish unless they're some kind you really, really want & have room for. It's so easy to get carried away with this hobby, lol. I learned the hard way 9 tanks is a part time job, never again!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Maybe ask a moderator to start a new thread for this rainbow issue separate from the cloudy tank.

Do you have a plan for all those guppies? 40 is a lot! I have to admit to frequently turning my QT into, well, just another tank. But I have room & several tanks available. You may have to say no the next time a friend needs to rehome fish unless they're some kind you really, really want & have room for. It's so easy to get carried away with this hobby, lol. I learned the hard way 9 tanks is a part time job, never again!
If the issue gets worse and doesn't get better on its own i'll make a new thread about it.

I have a vague plan for the babies, there is a pet store i heard that will buy guppies from people. And another will accept donations and put them in the store's personal display tanks. Craigslist is also an option i can go with.
But yeah i don't plan on getting any new fish for a long while, at least until i figure out if i'm going to be upgrading soon or not. The only ones i've gotten recently are a few otocinclus and dwarf synodontis cats (also given to me lol). Although it's hard to turn away rare and sometimes expensive fish for free you know?

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
How's the water looking?
I did about a 40% water change the other day and that cleared it up a lot but it hasn't gotten any better since then. Not worse, but not better. I'll do another water change soon and see if that helps more.

I also wanted to bring up since i'm on the subject of algae, my 40 gallon tank is also clouding up, except this time i am positive it's because of algae. The hair algae is really starting to completely cover everything and the water is a greenish yellow color. I wanted to ask what a good fix for this might be, i was thinking of setting up a co2 canister to that tank, would that help battle the algae? I have 5 otocinclus, a siamese algae eater and a bristlenose in there but they aren't really putting a dent in the algae.

I don't have any way to test phosphates or anything so i'm going to take a water sample to my lfs and see if there's something like that going on.

It is weird though, before a few weeks ago both of these tanks didn't have a problem like this, so i wonder what changed....

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Test the tapwater. This time of year, nitrates really start to accumulate in water sources.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Depending on your water source, your local water may be significantly affected by local agricultural runoff or the like.

trigiver01

Follow HIM and be fishers of men!
Dec 16, 2008
Alachua County, FL
Depending on your water source, your local water may be significantly affected by local agricultural runoff or the like.
Indeed - bring a sample of straight tapwater to your LFS to see if they can test that for phosphates as well as your tank water. If high, the results of both may indicate where the problem is coming from (tap water vs too much food/substrate/fertilizer phosphates).

Also - you may have said this already, but make sure your test kit is not expired.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Yup, source water changes is the first thing to come to mind.

SAE eat a little hair algae but not Otos or plecos so much. Amano shrimp are pretty good with hair algae though and highly entertaining with small bio-loads. CO2 will help by keeping your plants healthier, outcompeting the algae for nutrients but that still requires the proper balance and something is out of balance right now.

How old is the 40B?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store