Fish less Cycling

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WATCH TOWER

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2017
I am not new to the fish hobby but it has been awhile since I have got back into the hobby so am a little rusty with it. Do these readings seem to be right as in the process of cycling? Any other advice or should I just continue to wait?

I think this is day 21. Looks like we have away to go but sure is nice to see something on those nitrites and nitrates for a change instead of just the ph and ammonia. Thank You

ph 7.0 ppm
Ammonia 1.0 ppm
Nitrites 0.25 ppm
Nitrates 5.0 ppm

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I think your are doing fine. I would not even measure Nitrates till your Nitrites and ammonia measure "0" for a 24hr period. Nitrites skew the Nitrate readings.

tarheel96

AC Members
Sep 9, 2017
Real Name
Mike
How are you performing this fishless cycle? Are you adding ammonia? Or are you letting food sit in the water?

If you're adding ammonia, how long did it take before the ammonia level began to fall?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How big of a tank and what test kit are you using? I wouldn't worry too much about measuring pH at this point. I know after a ~25yr hiatus in the hobby, fishless cycling by adding houshold ammonia is how I got back into it. To me it was a painful 4-6 week process. I was dosing ammonia to the 4-5ppm mark, which eventually made nitrites so out of range high, it indicated a low reading on the API master test kit and just stayed there until I did several 80%+ water changes.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I depends what you are dosing to/how if those numbers look good but in general looking about right for 3 weeks. Once the nitrites start falling the cycle completes quickly. Takes forever for them to show up and then they seem to stick around forever then *poof* they are gone!

WATCH TOWER

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2017
How are you performing this fishless cycle? Are you adding ammonia? Or are you letting food sit in the water?

If you're adding ammonia, how long did it take before the ammonia level began to fall?
I am using Dr Tim's Ammonia and I am also only dosing to 2.0 ppm at this time.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

WATCH TOWER

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2017
Day 26

20 Gallon High Aquarium. These freshwater test kits are not always easy to read so if someone could lend me there eyes I would appreciate it to what you may see. Have the tank air stone going and also have the tank heat at 84 seems like it is still taking a long time doing the fish less cycling. Anything else I can do to boost the cycle? Thank You

Resized_20170927_105231 (2).jpeg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sorry if it's been mentioned, but the key to the nitrate test is to follow the instructions to a "T". If you don't shake the heck out of bottle #2 before using it and then shake the completed test tube vigorously for at least 1min, then let the test tube sit for 5min, the nitrate test WILL NOT indicate properly. I wouldn't even worry about testing for nitrate until you show zero ammonia and nitrites. May as well save the nitrate bottles for later on given that's the test you'll use most on an established aquarium.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I think you are doing fine. I have not cycled a tank in years, but remember it taking over a month. The Nitrite cycle takes the longest. You may still be a week or 2 out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store