New to cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Smokefire1

AC Members
Aug 15, 2017
Northern michigan
A bad ich outbreak wiped out my entire community tank I've been wanting to get a cichlid tank for awhile figured it was a good time to switch it's a 65 gallon tank with live plants right now my water is ammonia 0 nitrate around 20ppm nitrite 0 hardness around 200 alkalinity around 130/140 ph is 7.7 right now I have 2 peacocks , a maingano, a female auratus, and a kalingano there is also a grey bichir and a yoyo loach in there for now just looking for any tips or advice I've been trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Best advice would be to get the bichir and the loach out and start slowly upping the pH to about 8. You can use baking soda to buffer or a cichlid buffer from a shop with a crushed coral substrate. The cichlids can live in a neutral pH, and do really well, but you'll get really great colours and behaviours when the pH is closer to what they live in in the wild.

I'm not familiar with the common name of kalingano, so I can't offer too much advice on your stocking. But the auratus is going to be the boss of that tank in a very short time. I would suggest cramming the tank full of rocks and hiding spots, get as many as you think you need, and then double that. Also, be prepared for fights. Having melafix on hand will be helpful, as it does help speed up the healing process. That's the other reason for getting the bichir out, his fins will likely be shredded in short order.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
It is probably a Nimbochromis livingstonii based on the name from the LFS, Kaligono is just the name the local people call it due to its hunting method. Definitely post a pic of the fish for confirmation.

BTW, this fish can get up to 10" long and feeds on smaller fish so you may want to return it to the store!

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Pics are good enough, it looks like a Nimbochromis venustus and this fish will still be a problem when mature.

Smokefire1

AC Members
Aug 15, 2017
Northern michigan
I'm hoping I can trade him to a smaller local store next time they get some synodontis cats in hard to find good cichlids locally had to travel to get the ones I have

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store