New tank! Finally!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Finally getting around to cleaning up this tank! Having an irritating time with work right now, so some scrubbing sounded good. I also found a filter I like, I went for the Fluval mini.

So, here's a before: 20171010_193127.jpg

Hopefully have an after soon!

Reactions: dougall

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
And thats an after! All the tape residue is gone and it looks like a brand new tank! Thanks for the tip of the magic erasers!

Just going to let it dry a bit and then paint the back black. 20171010_201213.jpg

Reactions: dougall

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Jeesh, currently pricing substrate and lighting and I kind of forgot how expensive it was without having a big box store discount and waiting until the "friends and family" day so that everything is 30% off. . . ugh.

The pet shop near me closes at 5 and even when I remember to go by in the morning, its not clearly marked (no sign just an old scratched out sign for the corner shop it used to be) so I walk right by it (its on my way to work) and get so lost in my own thoughts that by that time I realise I should have been looking for it, I am at the intersection for my work building. Holy run on sentence. . . anyway, I'm having to look online now and pricing out to try to compare to the shop on Monday (its also not open on Sundays). . . But right now I'm lookin at:

Black sand (20 lb bag): £18
Prime (100 ml): £7
API test kit: £23
LED lighting: £29

This feels ridiculous, so I'm hoping the shop will be cheaper, but after my 2 weeks of price comparing to make this list, I am not feeling very confident. . .

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
What sort of black sand is that? I don't know if Black Diamond Blasting sand would be available there, but it is something that other people have used in aquariums, and usually costs less than the "aquarium" stuff.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
What sort of black sand is that? I don't know if Black Diamond Blasting sand would be available there, but it is something that other people have used in aquariums, and usually costs less than the "aquarium" stuff.
I've looked for it and can't find it listed anywhere online as available. Unfortunately, I can't drive here (been here too long to use my US license and don't wanna shell out the money for the training courses required to get a UK one, and also a car and insurance and . . . nope), so I can only look at hardware stores that are accessible via trains and I haven't found any close enough/that have it.
So, the only black sand I can find (that I know is safe/otherwise) is CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand. I mean I could give in and get some standard off-white sand for free from the Uni. . . and I may, but . . . I am stubborn.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I hear you, Tiff, on the expense list...we were poor students in our hobby beginnings (long ago. Can you get "Safe" (like Prime, only powder)? Tahitian Moon sand is expensive here...probably much more fo)r you...& it's almost inert...but pretty.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I haven't seen Safe, but I was debating just going with Stress Coat. It seems API products are about 2/3 of the price of Seachem. I don't mind Stress Coat so much. I'm also just thinking I'll go with the natural sand I can get for free. Stubborn as I am, I have had this tank sitting empty for months now, all because I want something the colour of my soul lol.
That's actually why I'm paying attention to costs, I'm still a student and I do need to start saving for moving expenses when this is all over in a year and half.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Been there, done it! I'd say go cheap (sand) You'll be somewhere else soon enough...that's been our experience over many (many) years...A new chance to start over!! Really, it's fun...once you get over the shock of moving. Don't be locked into you uni ideals! There's much more to try...next time! Go with free sand, you won't be sorry...unless it's white, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store