Jewel Cichlid and Common Pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jewelcichs

AC Members
Aug 10, 2017
I have one Jewel cichlid about 3 inches in size inside a 30 gal. Do you think it will hurt my 3 inch pleco if i put him in there?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
It depends on a lot of things. Such as filtration, hiding places, water changes, the species of pleco etc. What is your reason for wanting to add the pleco?

jewelcichs

AC Members
Aug 10, 2017
i just got one for free but im not sure where add it since my cichlid tank is the only option for the winter but i dont want my cichlid killing my pleco

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I didn't catch the "common" part in the title. A three inch common pleco will quickly outgrow that size of tank, even if its just for the winter and the waste will likely be more than a 30 gal tank can handle. IMO the best place to add the pleco is back to where it came from. Common plecos really shouldn't be kept in aquariums. They reach a size of 2 feet and aren't suitable for what most people said. That and they don't really even eat algae after about 4 inches, just left over fish food and fish food that the other fish won't get.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Sorry, but IMO, neither fish would be happy in a 30gal. The jewel by itself=Maybe, but your tank is too small.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store