Warning: Plecos and African Dwarf Frogs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
Yes, I ment that I had heard of plecos attacking other small aquatic creatures.

My pleco was not hungry, had been feeding daily on sinking algae pellets. I don't know exactly why it was attacking the frog... it seemed to be a territory issue, however, even though the frog was peaceful and never bothered the pleco.

what kind of pleco was yours? some are more omnivorous than others. it may have been wanting protein that the algae wafers were not providing. all of my plecos get a varied diet of wafers, sinking carnivore pellets, krill, bloodworms, regular shrimp, zuke, cucumber and various other veggies, and home made loach food

mrsmoothound

Registered Member
Jul 24, 2015
I've tried adf in my 450l tank. With no luck. I have one pleco (6inches) and various bottom feeders. Any tips would be appreciated. I loved having the adf in my tank.

Bottomfeeder2

Lancelet
Aug 31, 2008
African dwarf frogs are very small and extremely fragile. They aren't able to compete for food with other species, and aren't durable enough to survive any kind of aggression from tankmates. Some sources say that picking them up or even netting them is enough to break their bones.

In addition, they aren't strong swimmers, and need to be kept in a shallow enclosure so they can surface to breathe atmospheric air every ten minutes or so.

IMO, they should only be kept in species-specific setups.

Last edited:

cmdel

Registered Member
Jul 27, 2015
Texas
I have several Plecos, the first and biggest got too big for my indoor 55 gallon and I moved him outdoors to my pond. While he was inside he once ate a bullfrog tadpole that I temporarily had inside to view its development. I don't think he is that aggressive of a carnivore, but he probably swallowed it without even noticing it until after it was done. This particular Pleco is very playful and grew up with a Texas Cooter turtle since both were babies. The two were very playful with each other, the Pleco would attach itself to the turtles shell and ride on his back around the tank. Also the Pleco would swim beside and cut off the turtle making it detour and change direction. When the Pleco was attached to the side of the aquarium the turtle would approach within an inch or two and imitate the Pleco's mouth movement.
Once the turtle got too big for the tank and went to the pond, I put a baby Red-Earred Slider turtle in the aquarium and the Pleco was just as playful with the smaller Slider turtle, attaching itself to it's back and sometimes not releasing it for several minutes. A couple of times I was concerned that the Slider turtle might drown for lack of air. So I don't think a well feed Pleco is a vicious carnivore, I just think other smaller species get in it's way and down into his stomach they go, whether out of curiosity or playfulness sometimes they get swallowed. lol

j68

Registered Member
Oct 14, 2017
I have an albino bristle-nosed pleco and I was considering getting an African Dwarf Frog. I have a 20 gallon tank. Is this going to be a recipe for disaster?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store