Stocking advice for 55g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goldensunray

Registered Member
Oct 13, 2017
I am new to the hobby, and I would really love some suggestions about stocking my 55g planted tank! My tank is currently cycled and home to 6 Longfin Zebra Danios and 1 catfish that I believe is an otocinclus (the local fish store suggested that I get an algae eater, and sold it to me saying that it was a Striped Raphael catfish. However, this little guy looks nothing like the pictures I found of the Striped Raphael when I got home and did some research. He does look a whole lot like an otocinclus, so I am going with that assumption for now.)

pH: 7.2-4 range
Temp: 76 degrees

My current wish list for a stocked tank:
10 x Longfin Zebra Danios
10 x Harlequin Rasbora
6 x Otocinclus
2 x Bolivian Rams (pair)
5 x Pearl Gouramis (2 males 3 females)
6 x Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish (2 males 4 females)

Do you think this will work? Suggestions?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd skip the rainbows, I've had nothing but bad issues with them...& then you're pretty much stocked. I know it seems like you have a bit more "tank space"...but really you're better off slightly understocking than maxing out your "possibilities". More otos would be good or...just maybe 1 BN pleco.

It looks like an active, happy tank! We'll need some pics, please!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Your stock seems OK to me, but I have never kept any of the Rainbow species , so no experience there.
PS--I would not keep 2 male Pearl Gouramis together. Granted that the Pearl is probably one of the most peaceful of Gouramis, two male will not be happy together in a 55gal.

goldensunray

Registered Member
Oct 13, 2017
Thank you for your replies! I do think I will skip the rainbows. Good to know about the Pearl Gouramis, I will reconsider that. I read somewhere that they show their colors better with another male, but I don't want aggression problems so it probably isn't worth it. I am thinking about adding some cory catfish, too. I am so excited about adding fish to my little community!

goldensunray

Registered Member
Oct 13, 2017
Ok! I will research the pearls a little more and I may give it a go. They would be awfully pretty together. Thank you for your help!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store