Please help my Goldfish Fred be healthy and happy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ashley Lamoreaux

Registered Member
Sep 8, 2017
So my girlfriend and I won a goldfish at a fair (I know, don't roll your eyes) and I have become quite emotionally attached to him. I live in a college dorm so I was only able to get a 5 gallon tank with an LED light and an Aqueon filter that takes the smallest cartridges. I understand that goldfish need 20 gallons or more, but this is just temporary (maybe for about a year or so) and I want to know the best ways to ensure he is healthy in this kind of environment. I failed to properly start the aquarium, so the ammonia levels are high. Im currently using Quick Start and Stress Coat and plan do to regular water changes weekly. (I made the mistake of changing the first filter too soon).

Any advice?

Kaitlyn

AC Members
Sep 20, 2017
Hi there,

I understand where you're at!

I once won a goldfish at a fair as well, kept him in a frickin vase for 4 years and then he finally passed away. Now that I know better, I have no idea how he survived..

Sometimes those things can be incredibly resilient, so don't fret too much for now.

Seems like you've got a good start. Obviously a 5 gallon is not ideal, but I'm assuming he's not full grown yet (correct me if I'm wrong, maybe lmk how big he is?), he might be okay for the time being.

Can you give me your most recent test results of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? Possibly the date as well. And was this done using liquid or strip tests?

What all do you have inside the tank currently (gravel or sand, type of decorations, plants, etc.).

What size did you buy of the quickstart, and how much have you used so far? How are you dosing it?

Hold off on doing weekly water changes- it might restart your cycle.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Best thing you can do at this point is daily water changes. Assuming this is a tiny comet or common goldfish at this point, the 5g tank will be fine temporarily. It's better than a bowl. Regardless, I would do daily 50% water changes on it at a minimum and refill with same temperature, dechlorinated water.

I too have a carnival won commet goldfish at home. I've had it for 2-3yrs. Started out in 2.5g bowl for a week or two, moved to a 20g long tank, now have her/him in a 55g with other goldfish.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Adding Prime will help with ammonia as well. GF are plant eaters but you could add some pothos (just roots in water) to suck out some nutrients. Like mentioned lots of water changes and upgrade him asap.

The Habitat

AC Members
Oct 7, 2017
best thing to do and not to sound mean at all is post an ad and find someone with a pond to rehome him...the little cute comet goldfish that the fairs give away are capable of growing up to 2 feet....then once he is rehomed you could add something more suitable for the tank like a shrimp colony or a betta and a snail or two...just my .02....Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store